The road well traveled.....back in time.

06 Oct 2023 17:35 #1 by homeagain
www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/02/03/th...tm_term=tny_daily_di
LONG READ

American democracy, too, staggered, weakened by corruption, monopoly, apathy, inequality, political violence, hucksterism, racial injustice, unemployment, even starvation. “We do not distrust the future of essential democracy,” F.D.R. said in his first Inaugural Address, telling Americans that the only thing they had to fear was fear itself. But there was more to be afraid of, including Americans’ own declining faith in self-government. “What Does Democracy Mean?” NBC radio asked (in the 1930's).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Oct 2023 16:30 #2 by Rick
Do you have an opinion on that long read? I’m not interested in reading random articles unless the OP is willing to offer a summary opinion first.

Is there something in our current environment that you find relevant to the article?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

08 Oct 2023 09:14 #3 by homeagain

Rick wrote: Do you have an opinion on that long read? I’m not interested in reading random articles unless the OP is willing to offer a summary opinion first.

Is there something in our current environment that you find relevant to the article?

Since u like to be contrary .......WE R EXACTLY IN THE SAME PREDICAMENT. I have said repeatedly,we r in The Fourth Turning.(the article was referencing the 1930's)...approx 75 0r 80 years have transpired,THAT is the span of time (thru eons) that cycles repeat.....'THE ROAD WELL TRAVELED, BACK IN TIME"

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds