No Plan,Sam....Sanity seems elusive

24 Oct 2023 12:40 #1 by homeagain
www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/10/2...-whats-next-00122977

Nick Reisman: Why is this happening now in the House?

John Katko: I think what’s happened is that a very small number of members of the far right took it upon themselves to use a motion to vacate, and they never had a plan for what would come after they were successful.

The chaos that’s ensued has really illuminated the divisions in the party. Not only has it illuminated them, it’s kind of deepened and hardened those divisions.

Now we’ve got a real problem because the moderates have finally pushed back and said enough’s enough. The far right feels falsely empowered because of concessions made to them by Kevin McCarthy to get the speakership.

They’ve just got to hope sanity will prevail at some point and someone will emerge to lead this group out of this mess. But make no mistake: There’s going to be a lot of scars in this fight and those scars are going to last a long time in the party.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Oct 2023 19:02 #2 by FredHayek
Moderator: Could we combine all these Speaker threads?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Oct 2023 20:07 #3 by ramage
I agree, combine the topics.
Also if the post is only a regurgitating of an article from a news source with no input from the poster it should be regulated to being a footnote, at best. I would write to the source if I desired to comment on the article.
The idea behind a thread: express one's opinions not parrot what is available on the internet.

25 Oct 2023 08:08 #4 by Rick
A new house speaker thread a day keeps interesting new topics away.

My daily rhyme :cheer:

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

25 Oct 2023 08:34 #5 by homeagain
What they're saying: "The pressure now I feel like from the grassroots is, you guys look like idiots, you don't have your act together, just get this done — we need a leader. So I feel like that it's not about personality, it's about the general lack of cohesion and the appearance of chaos," one lawmaker told Axios.

YA THINK???

Mods can do what they wish with the thread.....I thought my follow up article was DEAD ON,IT DEALS WITH
JUST HOW FUBARRED THE R'S OPERATE.

It seems quite apparent to me that a personal comment was NOT needed.

25 Oct 2023 10:40 #6 by FredHayek
It takes roughly a year or more to elect a president, I am willing to take a few weeks to elect a new Speaker. Of course, if it was up to me, Congress would only be in DC about three months a year. Let them spend the majority of their time back in their districts and states. Time spent away from Washington lobbyists.
I would even let them vote from home.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds