Drug Prohibition In Style Again?

03 Mar 2024 09:36 - 03 Mar 2024 09:36 #1 by FredHayek

Portugal more than a decade ago, stopped jailing drug users. It encouraged them to seek treatment instead. It seemed to work so other nations took a look. Canada, the US, and even Mexico all started legalizing soft drugs like Marijuana. Some states like Oregon decriminalized harder drugs. Supporting treatment instead of incarceration.

Now it looks like the pendulum is swinging back to jailing hard drug users. Think this is a good idea?

Personally I am a libertarian so I wanted to see the Portugal Experiment work for North America but the images coming out of Portland and downtown Denver are tragic looking.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Mar 2024 09:03 #2 by Rick
I'm really shocked this leftist experiment didn't work. Unfortunately for Oregon, the damage is done and it could take decades to fix, if they even can fix it. The same holds true for the left's soft on crime policies that are also destroying cities. Keep voting for Democrats if you are in favor of misery and chaos.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds