Iditarod Coverage

12 Mar 2024 12:18 - 12 Mar 2024 12:28 #21 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Iditarod Coverage
he was interviewed and they asked how he was feeling. His response was that he felt tired, "feels like I ran almost 1,000 miles".

Anyway here is update of top 10 as of ~9:30 AKDT

Headed toward Safety (MILE 953)
1 Dallas Seavey MILE 909, SPEED 7.9 mph

IN WHITE MOUNTAIN (MILE 898)
2 Matt Hall
3 Jessie Holmes
4 Travis Beals
5 Jeff Deeter

Mushing towards White Mountain
6 Paige Drobny MILE 894, SPEED 6.8 mph
7 Mille Porsild MILE 885, SPEED 5.7 mph

IN ELIM
8 Jessie Royer
9 Peter Kaiser
10 Amanda Otto

alaskapublic.org/2024/03/11/seavey-takes...he-bering-sea-coast/

FEEL HOW ALONE U R.......(picture worth a million words)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Mar 2024 13:08 #22 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Iditarod Coverage
Are there any teams from the lower 48 states, particularly Colorado?

12 Mar 2024 13:22 - 12 Mar 2024 13:34 #23 by homeagain
iditarod.com/race/2024/mushers/list/

NONE from Colorado this year, have been in past years. Click on faces in the lower right hand corner and type in Colorado,u will see those people who r involved and what they do. THE VET IN CONIFER,Dr. Palimi
(spg) has been a team vet FOREVER.....he is there now, I think I can post a pix.....

it's on his Facebook..I don't do face book..BUT its Sano vet clinic in Conifer.

12 Mar 2024 15:28 #24 by homeagain
Dallas has been moving fast, 8.5mph on average
He is only 20 miles from Safety and 42 miles from Nome.

Weather seems to be sunny, cool (-4 deg: perfect for the dogs) and not much wind!
So smooth sailing so far!

FINALLY....some good luck for Dallas

12 Mar 2024 15:51 #25 by ramage
Don't take this as an insult, but I bet you rooted for Tom Brady to win his 7 Super Bowls. So did I,

12 Mar 2024 17:27 #26 by homeagain
Dallas just arrived at the Safety checkpoint (MILE 953) at 2:29 AKDT

Here are the others in the top 10

Mushing to Safety
2 Matt Hall MILE 922, SPEED 7.5 mph
3 Jessie Holmes MILE 905, SPEED 7.3 mph

IN WHITE MOUNTAIN
4 Travis Beals
5 Jeff Deeter
6 Paige Drobny
7 Mille Porsild

Mushing towards White Mt
8 Jessie Royer MILE 889, SPEED 8.2 mph
9 Amanda Otto MILE 888, SPEED 7.2 mph
10 Peter Kaiser MILE 887, SPEED 5.7 mph

NEXT AND FINAL ARRIVAL......NOME!!!!! everyone lines up along the final path and the '"arche"is the most popular position....LOTS OF EXCITEMENT AND EXHAUSTION

Gee, I really am not a football fan (ELWAY) was QB when I was "into it"...only because where I worked was
crazy,nutso with orange and blue and beer, PARTEE CENTRAL. at the coffee lounge/local nearby bar.I was single and THAT'S the group gather going gonzo.....(I still do not know the rules of the game/or what positions r critical.....I just know when there are a pile of bodies,THAT'S where the ball is located):biggrin:

13 Mar 2024 07:25 - 13 Mar 2024 07:40 #27 by homeagain
Dallas is now the winningest (is that a word? :lol: ) Iditarod musher in history with 6 wins!

He completed the race in 9 days, 2 hours, 16 minutes and 8 seconds.

His team of 10 dogs was led by Sebastian and Aero.

He says there will be more Iditarod races for him to run in his future!

Dallas belongs to one of dog mushing's dynastic families. His grandfather finished the first Iditarod in third place in 1973 and his father, Mitch, has won the race three times.

picture no show..... i will try another way

alaskapublic.org/2024/03/12/dallas-seave...king-sixth-iditarod/

HOLDING HIS DOGS,WITH LEIS WRAPPED AROUND THEIR NECKS......BIG KISSES!!!!!!

he most important question: What does my team need right now?” he said. “We answered that question every day, and at some point the analytical side said, ‘Holy cow, we got a shot.’”

Seavey’s team completed the 1,000-mile trail in nine days, two hours and 16 minutes. That time includes a two-hour penalty race officials added to Seavey’s mandatory 24-hour layover for failing to adequately gut a moose he shot after it attacked his team earlier in the race.

At the finish line, Seavey said his team faced challenges over the race’s thousand miles, but when they stumbled, they picked themselves back up and took another step forward.

“This one was supposed to be hard. It had to be special,” he said. “It had to be more than just a normal Iditarod. And for me it was.”

14 Mar 2024 10:34 #28 by homeagain
LAST COMMENTS for the topic.....

Apparently there was some blizzard like conditions between White Mt and Safety again this year.

ADN Newsletter wrote:
... for some of them, the journey was particularly arduous.

For example, Amanda Otto, Pete Kaiser and Jessie Royer experienced whiteout conditions (and in Otto's case, getting blown off the trail) in the notorious "Blowhole" area, which has dealt treacherous weather to teams in Iditarods past. And Mille Porsild spent part of the race struggling with the effects of pancreatitis, taking a 24-hour rest back at Takotna before getting the OK to continue on in the race. The Danish musher still managed to finish with the race's top pack.

She's part of a contingent of mushers who set a different record in this year's Iditarod: 2024 marks the first time four women have finished in the top 10.

On some level, the women just want to be acknowledged as mushers, Royer said. But she also said it’s clear more women are getting into mushing, and the sport is a good model for anyone looking to buck convention.

“We’re just doing our thing, but it’s a good thing for other girls and women (to see),” she said.

SUSAN BUTCHER ,in the day,was so far ahead of her time......blazing the path and building her own legacy.......SHOUT OUT to Susan

14 Mar 2024 15:55 #29 by ramage
Your Iditarod coverage was appreciated. I would like to add this item from Iditarod.com

... As Jessie Royer rounded out the top ten, another record was entered into the books. This is the first time in race history that four women have finished in the top ten – Paige Drobny, Mille Porsild, Amanda Otto and Jessie Royer. As reported by the Anchorage Daily News, Jessie Royer said, “This has been a year of women.”

14 Mar 2024 17:44 #30 by homeagain
ELATED someone thought it was worth following....I love Alaska,my heart is still there,always will be.SOME ashes will go to the cabin on the Salcha river and the rest of me will be at our first home in the mountains.(is my wish)...If we can get permission to enter the acre in Bailey.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds