Iditarod Coverage

08 Mar 2024 20:23 #1 by FredHayek
Iditarod Coverage was created by FredHayek

Alaskan races aren't like the NYC marathon!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Mar 2024 20:32 #2 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Iditarod Coverage
Thanks for the heads up. He was fined 2 hrs in the race because the judges decided that the moose was not gutted sufficiently. God only knows what they meant

www.manisteenews.com/sports/article/idit...for-not-18708492.php

09 Mar 2024 08:05 - 09 Mar 2024 08:06 #3 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Iditarod Coverage

ramage wrote: Thanks for the heads up. He was fined 2 hrs in the race because the judges decided that the moose was not gutted sufficiently. God only knows what they meant

www.manisteenews.com/sports/article/idit...for-not-18708492.php

I am breaking my silence for this topic........

ttps://apnews.com/article/iditarod-alaska-seavey-kills-moose-sled-dog-13c5e674d5062375bb0881d3ccb5e919

The actually rules state......that mushers who follow afterwards (the kill),MUST ASSIST in field dressing,the race then resumes....I don't know why this was not done....(specifically since it was in the middle of the trail....it would seem the rule SHOULD HAVE BEEN IMPLEMENTED )

09 Mar 2024 08:35 #4 by homeagain
(I follow the race every year......since I grew up there).

Got some more info on Dallas and the moose incident

Dallas has totally accepted the 2 hr penalty. He sincerely apologized for everything.

Greg & Bruce had a long talk with him. Dallas can't really remember everything clearly. He was in shock, tramatized by the whole thing. Greg compared it to PTSD, as Dallas has not fully recovered from the tragedy of last Nov when one of his teams was plowed down by a snowmachine and then to have his team attacked by an angry moose which he had to shoot and then gut and try to move it to the side of the trail (which was only ~6ft wide at that point).
In the moment he feared being run down from behind by another team as they would come around the corner and not be able to stop or maneuver around Dallas's team or the dead moose.
In the moment he felt it was best to get out of that section of the trail, for everyone's sake, s quickly as possible.

Dallas is a VERY stoic, analytical guy. It was heartbreaking to see him so vunerable, emotional, embarassed perhaps and tramatized in front of the whole world like that.

BTW: Faloo (the dog critcally injured by the moose) is home and recovering! But due to the nature of her injuries, she will likely never be able to race again. :cry:

09 Mar 2024 11:37 #5 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Iditarod Coverage
Have to love a race where you are armed to protect yourself from angry moose and bear.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Mar 2024 13:04 - 09 Mar 2024 13:08 #6 by homeagain
Top 10 as of ~9:10am AKST

IN NULATO (Mile 582)
1 Travis Beals
2 Dallas Seavey
3 Jessie Holmes
4 Paige Drobny

Mushing towards Nulato
5 Matt Hall MILE 578
6 Ryan Redington MILE 576
7 Peter Kaiser MILE 569
8 Hunter Keefe MILE 560
9 Wally Robinson MILE 558
10 Matthew Failor MILE 551

Most ,if not all, r past the 1/2 way point (Cripple) .....Mon. or Tues should see "the arch" at Nome...DONE

09 Mar 2024 16:20 #7 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Iditarod Coverage
My dog watched a young moose walk down a hill right behind me while I was fishing near my house. He was very quiet and I only knew he was there because my dog was intensely staring at something behind me. As soon as I turned my head to look, my dog sprang into action and ran at the moose. I yelled and he stopped as the moose just walking into the lake and then just took a swim right in front of us. I'm glad he was a young one because my dog and I could have been in a lot of danger. I whipped out my phone and recorded him swimming and then walking out.

Those races really are amazing. I like that there are not any technological advantages and all have to be badasses... hopefully they don't dope their dogs, that would make me hate the sport.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Mar 2024 19:23 #8 by homeagain
Top 10 as of ~3pm AKST

Heading towards Kaltag
1 Travis Beals MILE 628
2 Jessie Holmes MILES 606
3 Paige Drobny MILE 591
4 Matt Hall MILE 591
5 Ryan Redington MILE 586
6 Dallas Seavey MILE 586

IN NULATO (Mile 582)
7 Peter Kaiser
8 Hunter Keefe
9 Wally Robinson
10 Matthew Failor

Kaltag (Mile 629)
Population 234 -- This town signals a brief respite from the driving winds as the trail from here leads overland through Kaltag Portage to the coast of Norton Sound where the winds take on new meaning. Kaltag is the home of Virginia Kalland, widow of Edgar Kalland who was one of the original mushers who helped carry life saving diphtheria serum along this trail in 1925. She also owns one of Kaltag’s three stores.

REDINGTON......family of mushers,name goes way back

09 Mar 2024 19:41 #9 by homeagain

Rick wrote: My dog watched a young moose walk down a hill right behind me while I was fishing near my house. He was very quiet and I only knew he was there because my dog was intensely staring at something behind me. As soon as I turned my head to look, my dog sprang into action and ran at the moose. I yelled and he stopped as the moose just walking into the lake and then just took a swim right in front of us. I'm glad he was a young one because my dog and I could have been in a lot of danger. I whipped out my phone and recorded him swimming and then walking out.

Those races really are amazing. I like that there are not any technological advantages and all have to be badasses... hopefully they don't dope their dogs, that would make me hate the sport.

[/b]
The professional vets that oversee the race r very specific about regs for the dogs,IF ANYONE is caught
abusing the regs,they r fined heavily and banned from racing.

At my brother's cabin on the Salcha (boat,plane or snow machine only access )...just had walked out onto the deck and just caught sight of a moose going down the embankment,slipped into the water,fjord ed the river (smoothly gliding thru the current,QUIETLY.almost ghost like,exited the water and slipped into the dense trees....so still and silent it was almost eerie.

Because we did not have dogs, our yard would always have several cows (and calves too) just hanging,eating the willows and birch and enjoying the peace......ALWAYS would be sure to not encroach upon their space...or startle them.

10 Mar 2024 07:37 #10 by homeagain
Good Morning Iditarod fans

Wow! Dallas has worked his team back up to the lead! He is really hungry to get his 6th win!!

We have 13 teams that have left Kaltag and are on the trail to Unalakleet.
Here are their positions as of ~5am AKDT.

1 Dallas Seavey MILE 676
2 Jessie Holmes MILE 674
3 Travis Beals MILE 674
4 Matt Hall MILE 669
5 Paige Drobny MILE 664
6 Ryan Redington MILE 661
7 Aaron Burmeister MILE 653
8 Peter Kaiser MILE 653
9 Jeff Deeter MILE 649
10 Wally Robinson MILE 637
11 Jason Mackey MILE 635
12 Hunter Keefe MILE 632
13 Matthew Failor MILE 632

It's the ALASKAN MINDSET....get her' done......it can be road construction,building a cabin,or just life kicks u in the ass....it's just keep on keeping on. My "sourdough' brother is the prime persona of that plan.(which means he is one stubborn s.o.b.)

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds