LOOK TO SOUTH AMERICA

17 Apr 2024 17:26 #1 by ramage
LOOK TO SOUTH AMERICA was created by ramage
I was going to reply on a thread, titled "reasons to vote for or against...". However I think this deserves to be a stand alone topic. The subject of tariffs was brought up. Fred is not in favor of tariffs. I argue against this opinion.
Tariffs with regard to manufactured products that come cheaply into the U.S. because of state subsidized products leading to "dumping" are appropriate in that the end result is to decimate the manufacturing capacity of the U.S.
It is high time that we turn our attention to the continent of South America. The imposition of embargoes on Russia pushed them along the path to deal extensively with China, India and the other countries of Asia. How has that worked out? Splendidly!
I am of European roots, but it is no longer a mover and shaker in the global economy in my opinion. Great museums, historical sites (from an Occidental point of view) anda cuisine that our palates are accustomed to.
It is time to invest in the countries of South America and allow them to become a full partner economically.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2024 20:00 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic LOOK TO SOUTH AMERICA
Ironically the Biden Administration just reached a deal with the Venezuelan government. Lowered oil sanctions in return for freer elections from the Maduro government.

A cynical man might say doing this right before the election to help lower gasoline prices instead of improving democracy in Venezuela.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Apr 2024 07:58 #3 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic LOOK TO SOUTH AMERICA
Everything this administration does is based on getting more support and more votes. That’s why Biden tries to play both sides of the Israel / Hamas war.

As for South America, we absolutely need to incentivize partnerships with the US before China gets too much of a foot in the door. This isn’t something Biden would be able to pull off so we can only hope he loses.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds