The Fact Check Thread… Who’s Lying?

13 Aug 2024 10:42 #1 by Rick
Since we are talking about lies and liars in Washington, I thought it would be fun to start a thread of CURRENT lies by the people we want to run the county. Since listing past lies would be a waste of time and energy, why not see who is lying the most in real time.

Starting today, 8/13/24, who will lie first and who will lie more often? Let’s see who tells the biggest lies that really matter.

Go!

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2024 10:57 #2 by koobookie
Butt Rick, past behavior is a great indication of future behavior. Trump's 30,000 lies + the 162 lies from last week, + the 34+ lies he told last night with Elon are a pretty good indication not only of his future lie telling, but also his mental state, i.e., is he actually living in reality or is he going to tell more lies about helicopter rides that never happened?

13 Aug 2024 11:26 #3 by koobookie
Here's a whopper of a lie that Trump told just 5 days ago:

130. “Well, I know Willie Brown very well. In fact, I went down in a helicopter with him. We thought maybe this is the end. We were in a helicopter going to a certain location together and there was an emergency landing.”

This claim has not held up to scrutiny. Politico reported that Trump did have to make an emergency landing in a helicopter with a Black California politician decades ago, but it wasn’t Willie Brown, the former San Francisco mayor and state assembly speaker. It was Nate Holden, a former Los Angeles city councilman and state senator.

131-132. “This was not a pleasant landing, and Willie was— he was a little concerned. So I know him. I know him pretty well. I mean, I haven't seen him in years. But he told me terrible things about her.”

“He was not a fan of hers very much at that point.”

This is something Trump repeated twice, minutes apart from each other. Brown strongly denies having been on a helicopter with Trump or telling Trump negative things about Harris, whom he dated in the mid-1990s and supports now for president. The relationship ended in 1995.

13 Aug 2024 11:27 #4 by koobookie
Ooooh - here's another Trump lie:

133. “Our tax cuts, which are the biggest in history… .”

The 2017 tax cuts were not the biggest in history. As a share of the economy, they barely make the top 10. They were big enough, however, to blow a big hole in the federal budget, which is why Trump was overseeing a nearly $1 trillion dollar annual deficit before the pandemic.

13 Aug 2024 14:07 #5 by FredHayek

koobookie wrote: Ooooh - here's another Trump lie:

The 2017 tax cuts were not the biggest in history. As a share of the economy, they barely make the top 10. They were big enough, however, to blow a big hole in the federal budget, which is why Trump was overseeing a nearly $1 trillion dollar annual deficit before the pandemic.

It is two trillion right now under President Biden and VP Harris.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Aug 2024 14:28 #6 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote:

koobookie wrote: Ooooh - here's another Trump lie:

It is two trillion right now under President Biden and VP Harris.

Current annual federal budget deficit is $224 billion. Where did you get your number?

www.pgpf.org/the-current-federal-budget-deficit

Regardless, Trump lied bigly when he stated that his tax cuts were the biggest in history.

13 Aug 2024 14:48 - 13 Aug 2024 14:49 #7 by FredHayek
If you keep reading, it says 1.5 trillion through July and we have five more months to go.

You numbers are per month?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Aug 2024 14:59 #8 by koobookie
Gosh. You're right. I'm wrong. I read it incorrectly. Thanks for that.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds