Intel CEO: U.S. faces looming tech decline

26 Aug 2010 13:38 #1 by conifermtman
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20014 ... g=mncol;1n

ASPEN, Colo.--Intel Chief Executive Officer Paul Otellini offered a depressing set of observations about the economy and the Obama administration Monday evening, coupled with a dark commentary on the future of the technology industry if nothing changes.

Otellini's remarks during dinner at the Technology Policy Institute's Aspen Forum here amounted to a warning to the administration officials and assorted Capitol Hill aides in the audience: unless government policies are altered, he predicted, "the next big thing will not be invented here. Jobs will not be created here."

I find it interesting how we allow people that suck the wealth out of this country in but deny the ones that actually create wealth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Aug 2010 13:52 #2 by AspenValley

conifermtman wrote: news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20014563-38.html?tag=mncol;1n

ASPEN, Colo.--Intel Chief Executive Officer Paul Otellini offered a depressing set of observations about the economy and the Obama administration Monday evening, coupled with a dark commentary on the future of the technology industry if nothing changes.

Otellini's remarks during dinner at the Technology Policy Institute's Aspen Forum here amounted to a warning to the administration officials and assorted Capitol Hill aides in the audience: unless government policies are altered, he predicted, "the next big thing will not be invented here. Jobs will not be created here."

I find it interesting how we allow people that suck the wealth out of this country in but deny the ones that actually create wealth.

Might it not be smarter to up our educational standards and produce the engineers and scientists we need to compete instead of importing them from India?

26 Aug 2010 15:15 #3 by JMC
Since our birth rate is dropping , like all developed countries,we need to rethink our legal immigration policies to keep the really smart students from other countries to stay here rather than go back to their homes. We have the best higher ed. in the world by far.
China and India have over 2.5 billion people if only 1% are exceptionally smart that's 2.5 million. I want a million of them to be in the U.S.Lets attract them here with open arms.

26 Aug 2010 15:28 #4 by HEARTLESS
JMC, I agree with you, but to attract them we have to have a good income to cost of living ratio, a strong ecomony (China just took over second place by knocking off Japan), reasonable tax rates and so on. The companies that we lose most jobs to overseas are large companies only. We need to stimulate small business, not just talk about it.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

26 Aug 2010 15:36 #5 by JMC
Outside the box stuff, why not give them a deal on real estate, start ups get favorable capital gains treatment, and citizenship is assured in 5 years.
Trying to stay away from the usual political roadblocks. Special treatment-yes, worth it probably.

26 Aug 2010 15:37 #6 by RenegadeCJ

AspenValley wrote: Might it not be smarter to up our educational standards and produce the engineers and scientists we need to compete instead of importing them from India?

Which is why we need vouchers so that we can let all parents have access to a high quality education instead of only the wealthy. We need to teach to excellence, not the lowest common denominator as public schools tend to do.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

26 Aug 2010 15:39 #7 by JMC

RenegadeCJ wrote:

AspenValley wrote: Might it not be smarter to up our educational standards and produce the engineers and scientists we need to compete instead of importing them from India?

Which is why we need vouchers so that we can let all parents have access to a high quality education instead of only the wealthy. We need to teach to excellence, not the lowest common denominator as public schools tend to do.

Unfortunately we need to do both way better than we are now.

26 Aug 2010 15:50 - 26 Aug 2010 15:55 #8 by AspenValley
Duplicate, ignore

26 Aug 2010 15:52 #9 by AspenValley

RenegadeCJ wrote:

I don't disagree about the "excellence" but I'm not convinced that vouchers would actually promote that. Too many parents seem to support vouchers not because they think their kids aren't getting a good education but because they don't want them "exposed" to secular thought. I'm not crazy about spending tax dollars to send kids to third rate, unregulated "Christian Academies" where kids may end up even more poorly educated than they would in a public school and end up believing that humans and dinosaurs once shared the earth together. That wouldn't exactly solve our problem of falling behind in science.

That's not to say I am a huge fan of public schools in their current condition, however.

27 Aug 2010 23:16 #10 by conifermtman

AspenValley wrote:

conifermtman wrote: news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20014563-38.html?tag=mncol;1n

Might it not be smarter to up our educational standards and produce the engineers and scientists we need to compete instead of importing them from India?

If we did not allow anchor babies and kicked out all the illegals we would have higher educational standards. Illegals, mostly Mexicans are a huge drain on our economy and society. These costs are killing our country and destroying our children's futures.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds