Company plans to sell genetic testing kit at drugstores

12 May 2010 07:36 #1 by Robynabc
They expect Walmart to carry it soon also.

Beginning Friday, shoppers in search of toothpaste, deodorant and laxatives at more than 6,000 drugstores across the nation will be able to pick up something new: a test to scan their genes for a propensity for Alzheimer's disease, breast cancer, diabetes and other ailments.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04_pf.html

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle.
But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best."
. Marilyn Monroe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 May 2010 19:16 #2 by LopingAlong
I saw this on the news and was going to post, thanks!

In college, I started out as a Bio Sci major before discovering that Animal Sci required waaaay less math, and we talked about this coming to fruition. My instructor projected that we'd be in our 50's by the time it happened, and look. I'm old. It's true.

Question is, would you want to know or not--that you had some gene that would make the liklihood of your developing breast cancer or Ahlzheimer's or whatever would be a pretty good one? How would that change you? Would you run down and have a mastectomy say, or would you play ping-pong daily to save your brain and hope for the best, would you do nothing different except worry? Would you want to know?

I used to see the world so black and white, so cut and dry, so easy to choose. Now, I'm not sure. I guess knowing would be cool on one hand; especially if you weren't showing the gene for whatever you were worried about, but not knowing...well, there is something about that that's appealing too. I'm not going to rush out to buy it, I guess.

12 May 2010 20:12 #3 by CinnamonGirl
I agree Loping-- basically I don't want to know because of the worry. I kinda think there is a reason we can't see too far ahead. WE aren't made to have that info. Just me. I have no issue with others doing it but I can't handle the truth. :can't hear

13 May 2010 18:22 #4 by LopingAlong
Walgreens' pulled it today. States that the FDA didn't approve it so it must be no good. Funny thing is, it's only a saliva test for $20 that they pulled. Strange, huh?

13 May 2010 19:33 #5 by JMC
I did the National Geographic test, no meds , but very cool info. my family came through the middle east to northern Europe and then south to Italy. Was fun to see and the explanation was thorough

14 May 2010 07:28 #6 by LopingAlong
JMC, where did you get the test? Was it the same saliva test they are talking about on TV? What testing did they do and who did it? Sounds interesting and if people remembered that environment plays a huge if not a majority role in things like cancer, it could be a good thing indeed. Thanks for the info!

14 May 2010 07:39 #7 by The Viking

LopingAlong wrote: JMC, where did you get the test? Was it the same saliva test they are talking about on TV? What testing did they do and who did it? Sounds interesting and if people remembered that environment plays a huge if not a majority role in things like cancer, it could be a good thing indeed. Thanks for the info!

Yes, I would love to try that test too.

14 May 2010 07:52 #8 by Rockdoc
to have a test for possible ailments is great, but even greater would be to have gene therapy that can correct an issue or potential health issue. The science is only part way there. Perhaps, lopingalong, your teacher a few decades ago is forecasting genetic cures in the next half century?

14 May 2010 07:57 #9 by LopingAlong
Hey Rockdoc! How are you?! Heard you're getting married, congratulations!
(DavisRanch here in case you didn't know who I am)

My prof at UCDavis was spot on, wasn't he? Who knows what research he's been up to since then. Long time ago, for sure.

14 May 2010 08:10 #10 by Sunshine Girl
My baby is here!!!!!!!!! :balloons: We need the heart emotion. Welcome Rockdoc!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds