Relaxed European attitude toward sex

20 Sep 2010 20:28 #1 by major bean
My wife bought some Italian movies (speghetti dramas) at King Soopers. They seem to be circa 1960s and 1970s. And these movies were the family fare sold in a grocery store.
After viewing a dozen or so of these movies I am struck with the impression that the Italians have an extreme obsession with:
1. extreme physical violence toward women (very violent physical beating of women)
2. extreme interest in sex with school age girls (adolescents)
3. prostitution
4. selling of wives
5. strippers and exotic dancers
6. BDSM (and I do mean BDSM)
7. total nudity out the wazoo

Are these the enlightened, sophisticated Europeans who are so accepting of sex that they do not give it a second thought? Or are these people obsessed with every type of perversion of the sexual nature?

Regards,
Major Bean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Sep 2010 14:24 #2 by Nmysys
Major:

I want to be careful so both of us aren't called racists because of remarks about Italians since Nationality like Mexican has caused much discussion about racial issues. Are you saying Italians or Italian Producers? Yes the (Spaghetti - Stereotyping all Italians) movie industry does put out a lot of that stuff because the marketplace is so huge. They wouldn't put it out if people wouldn't buy it.

JMC- His stereotyping of Italians wasn't meant to be an insult!! LOL

BTW- FYI, spaghetti ( Pasta) was created first in China, brought to Italy by Marco Polo, so we can twist this as being against the Chinese!

21 Sep 2010 15:18 #3 by FredHayek
Have to agree. I just watched the Swedish DVD of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and was surprised how much nudity and violence against women was in the film. An American director is currently casting a remake, I bet the nudity & sexual violence will decrease and the amount of gun play and explosions will increase.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Sep 2010 15:21 #4 by JMC
I judge all Americans by the TV we watch, slippery slope. Plus Nym. I'm 2nd generation. Olive Garden really offends me as an Italian American more than anything else.

21 Sep 2010 16:13 #5 by bailey bud
I have an admittedly limited exposure to Europeans. However, my experience suggests that they are a little more liberal than us on sexual matters. I remember a flight to Frankfurt - when this couple from Germany sat there reading Penthouse, together........

Another time - my Lufthansa flight had a lay-over in Saudi en route to Doha. I remember when we landed in Saudi - the crew went through the cabin and stowed all the European magazines, noting that an Imam could inspect the plane at any moment if they so wished. European magazines do seem to have a certain risque feeling to them. (RockDoc likely knows about this particular scene).

Finally, when I spent 5 days in Athens, I'll openly admit to feeling very uncomfortable and nearly shocked by the way women dressed and (mis)behaved, there. I almost wondered if the culture of Corinth (from the Bible) wasn't still very much alive in the country.

Still, I suspect (hope?) the movies you saw are a little out-of-the ordinary. I would not be surprised if they were spot on, though.

21 Sep 2010 16:26 #6 by Nmysys
I have to admit that is the only thing I admire Europe for besides some beautiful places to travel to see, their more relaxed attitude for nudity, sex in general, less inhibitions.

21 Sep 2010 17:23 #7 by Wayne Harrison
I have just one question, Major:

Do they still have some of those DVDs left at King Soopers?

21 Sep 2010 17:30 #8 by V_A

Wayne Harrison wrote: I have just one question, Major:

Do they still have some of those DVDs left at King Soopers?

I was there earlier today and couldn't a single one, I assume Major went back and bought them out LOL

21 Sep 2010 18:27 #9 by major bean
Naw, I didn't buy them all. My wife says that they have some left.
Some of the movies were dubbed, so I assume that they were created for the Italian market and also the British market. Some were in originally in English (at least that is my impression, but the sound was totally behind or maybe ahead of the lip movement of the actors).

I am having a hard time accepting that Europeans are more liberal about sex. It would appear to me that they are more into perversion and sexual obsession.

I think that they are probably into sex so heavily because they do not have guns.

Regards,
Major Bean

21 Sep 2010 18:51 #10 by Wayne Harrison
Yeah, Europeans are more liberal about the naked human body and consider Americans prudes in that respect.

You ever look at Page 3 in The Sun (a new topless girl every day). Lest you call that a liberal rag, The Sun is owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds