Obama calls for longer school year.....

27 Sep 2010 19:49 #1 by bailey bud
My comment
I don't know who's advising the President - but this call to action is nothing but bull [turds]. (can someone add bullturds to the emoticon list - it's an animated bull lifting his tail.....???)

I homeschool my kids. My oldest is a scholarship student at Colorado School of Mines, and a commended student in the National Merit Scholarship competition. His school day was shorter than most school days - and his school year was shorter, as well. He lived overseas for three (3) years, in a hyper-diverse environment, and understands "diversity" better than any of the lame wishy-washy diversity educators do.

So when politicians start pounding their chest for more money for education - I'm not in the choir singing kum by ya (sp?). Try this, Mr. President ---- how about paying my wife (the kids' main teacher) $30,000/yr, so we can continue teaching the kids. It's cheaper than the money spent per student - even in Park County. It's much less than your kids' Sidwell Friends - and yields better results, on average.

Link to Story
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100927/ap_ ... e/us_obama

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Sep 2010 20:00 #2 by The Viking
Got this one for now.

27 Sep 2010 20:05 #3 by The Viking
Or this.......

27 Sep 2010 20:07 #4 by The Viking

bailey bud wrote: My comment
I don't know who's advising the President - but this call to action is nothing but bull [turds]. (can someone add bullturds to the emoticon list - it's an animated bull lifting his tail.....???)

I homeschool my kids. My oldest is a scholarship student at Colorado School of Mines, and a commended student in the National Merit Scholarship competition. His school day was shorter than most school days - and his school year was shorter, as well. He lived overseas for three (3) years, in a hyper-diverse environment, and understands "diversity" better than any of the lame wishy-washy diversity educators do.

So when politicians start pounding their chest for more money for education - I'm not in the choir singing kum by ya (sp?). Try this, Mr. President ---- how about paying my wife (the kids' main teacher) $30,000/yr, so we can continue teaching the kids. It's cheaper than the money spent per student - even in Park County. It's much less than your kids' Sidwell Friends - and yields better results, on average.

Link to Story
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100927/ap_ ... e/us_obama

Great post and congratulations on your son and his accomplishments. You should be proud of him and your wife. This country needs a lot more like her.

27 Sep 2010 20:19 #5 by Hoot Owl
Your oldest is at School of Mines? Congratulations, that is quite a family accomplishment. Good job!

27 Sep 2010 20:31 - 06 Jul 2011 06:55 #6 by major bean

Regards,
Major Bean

27 Sep 2010 20:53 #7 by The Viking

major bean wrote: My wife and I home schooled our two daughters. They never attended a public school.
One daughter graduated from Colorado University with a B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering and a Masters in Science. Honors received at University of Colorado:
1. Tau Beta Pi Honor Society
2. Golden Key International Honor Society
3. National Dean's Honor Roll
4. Dean's Honor Roll
5. Cum Laud
6. National Chancellors List
She is currently works in the NSA.

Our other daughter received her B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering and will receive her Master's this December. Honors received at University of Colorado:
1. National Scholars Honor Society
2. Dean's Honor Roll
4. Cum Laud
She is presently in the employment application process with the FBI.

Home schooling is the best private education that can be given if you are dedicated, devoted, educated, and blessed with the resources.
Combined with public schooling, it will not work. And it will not salvage a troubled child.

Again a congratulations to you and your children. Those are great accomplishments. You and baileybud are perfect examples of why we need more funding for homeschooling and private schooling.

27 Sep 2010 21:26 #8 by Hoot Owl

The Viking wrote: Again a congratulations to you and your children. Those are great accomplishments. You and baileybud are perfect examples of why we need more funding for homeschooling and private schooling.

Actually great success stories. There are many people that claim they home school with great success, but are functional illiterates on these boards. I applaud those that have been successful, but wonder about some of the others who are to lazy to get their kids out of bed and onto the school bus. The schools deserve more funding, so that they are not just baby sitters. I applaud teachers, no matter how they apply their craft, as long as they apply it well.

27 Sep 2010 22:08 #9 by bailey bud
Park County spends 10,000/kid.......

Last I checked, we're around $1500/kid --- and we pay it all, ourselves......
(and we save the county $10k/kid). What kind of support do we get? Zip - nutin - nada.

So when the red-tie head-bobbing crowd starts jaw-boning about the need to spend more money on education - I get kind of irritated.

That's bunk, cow turd, horse poop nonsense.

Education would be a lot better off if it didn't have unions, lawyers, politically correct babble, or standardized tests. I work in the education industry - and there's a lot of waste, and not a lot of results.

27 Sep 2010 22:13 #10 by Travelingirl

Hoot Owl wrote:

The Viking wrote: Again a congratulations to you and your children. Those are great accomplishments. You and baileybud are perfect examples of why we need more funding for homeschooling and private schooling.

Actually great success stories. There are many people that claim they home school with great success, but are functional illiterates on these boards. I applaud those that have been successful, but wonder about some of the others who are to lazy to get their kids out of bed and onto the school bus. The schools deserve more funding, so that they are not just baby sitters. I applaud teachers, no matter how they apply their craft, as long as they apply it well.

This has to be one of the most asinine, uninformed posts I've read in a while...

as·i·nine   /ˈæsəˌnaɪn/ Show Spelled
[as-uh-nahyn] Show IPA

–adjective
1. foolish, unintelligent, or silly; stupid: It is surprising that supposedly intelligent people can make such asinine statements.
2. of or like an ass: asinine obstinacy; asinine features.

un·in·formed (nn-fôrmd)
adj.
Not having, showing, or making use of information; not informed:

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds