2010 - hottest year on record so far

29 Sep 2010 16:21 #1 by Something the Dog Said
The first 8 months of 2010 have been the hottest global temperature on record according to NOAA and NASA. The previous 12 consecutive months have also been the warmest on record, with an average increase of .5C per month. Recent ancedotal evidence such as the record Russian heat waves, Pakastani flooding, above average strength hurricanes are showing the results as well. Even as large scale cooling and warming patterns have cause fluctuations (i.e., El Nino, El Nina), the background temperatures keep increasing. This is really noticeable when the decadal minimums/maximums are compared. The coolest year of the 2000's was warmer than all but one year of the 1990's, this trend continues in comparison of previous decades (with the exception of 1991 with massive volcanic activities), the coolest year of one decade is warmer than most years of the previous decade.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Sep 2010 19:38 #2 by FredHayek
Actually the hurricanes have been pretty mild, more of them possibly but they sure have been losing their punch before hitting land.

Do have to agree on the other points, Los Angeles having all time highs last week in September, and Colorado having a warmer September than usual.

Man made? Maybe, but shouldn't the heat have peaked when the economy was at full employment? Instead oil consumption is much lower, industrial production is down, and we have seen years of alternative energy coming on line, decades worth in Europe.

Would you like to see the economy slowed down even more by replacing coal and even natural gas with much more expensive solar & wind alternatives?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Sep 2010 20:19 #3 by Scruffy
I am always curious as to why people don't want to make the leap to the next energy source. Jumping on the green energy bandwagon could make you a boat load of money. Investing in alternate energy sources just seems wise. Wish I had some cash to do that, but....

We all know that alternative energy is going to take over. Why not jump now? By the time the green energy technology gets going, the economy will have recovered and the greens will be poised to take over the energy market.

29 Sep 2010 20:37 #4 by Something the Dog Said
The 2010 hurricane season is producing monster cat 4 and cat 5 storms, even though they have not hit landfall. http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=16
The changes in the climate does not occur on a day by day, or even year by year basis. Even with the slowdown in the economy, the use of automobiles, electric use, etc. continue to rise. It would take decades if not centuries to mitigate the damage that has occurred.

Why not have the economy improve by creating new jobs in sustainable energy which is rapidly becoming less expensive? The costs of renewable energy is dropping dramatically and with the enormous capital costs of newer coal powered plants (see Comanche 3) that will be necessary over the next decade, most utility companies (see Xcel, TXU) are electing to build more and more renewable energy capacity.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

29 Sep 2010 20:46 #5 by FredHayek
The problem with investing in alternative energy right now is that isn't financially paying its way. Maybe in 20 years, we will get enough power from updated roof solar panels to make it worthwhile for every home to invest in it. Our solar setup in South Park cost 16K and only pays for itself because we are off the grid. For most townfolk, it still makes much more economic sense to rely on coal fired power plants.

29 Sep 2010 20:50 #6 by HEARTLESS
I'm sure Xcel loves the more expensive alternative (pass through costs) and will they adjust down when it becomes more economical? We'll see then.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

30 Sep 2010 08:53 #7 by Scruffy
I guess what I'm saying is that we appear to be on the cusp of a new wave of technology. Just like the internet in 1990, like personal computers in 1980, it seems like now would be the time to be pushing and pushing to make alternative energy viable. Will we look back in 15 years and say "Why hasn't photovoltaic power generation become affordable?"

The personal computer was way too expensive in 1981 for most people. Now, we can't imagine life without PC's. Will alternative power sources be the same in 20 years?

30 Sep 2010 09:53 #8 by FredHayek

Scruffy wrote: I guess what I'm saying is that we appear to be on the cusp of a new wave of technology. Just like the internet in 1990, like personal computers in 1980, it seems like now would be the time to be pushing and pushing to make alternative energy viable. Will we look back in 15 years and say "Why hasn't photovoltaic power generation become affordable?"

The personal computer was way too expensive in 1981 for most people. Now, we can't imagine life without PC's. Will alternative power sources be the same in 20 years?

I agree. I would support those people who want to buy the technology now, even giving them reasonable tax credits for both buyers and builders, but I stop short of forcing people to sign onto unproved or flawed technology. You want to buy CFL's? Fine, but don't ban the sale of incandescents.
Tax credits for electric cars OK, but don't make people with old cars have to pay a luxury tax.

30 Sep 2010 10:09 #9 by Scruffy

SS109 wrote:

Scruffy wrote: I guess what I'm saying is that we appear to be on the cusp of a new wave of technology. Just like the internet in 1990, like personal computers in 1980, it seems like now would be the time to be pushing and pushing to make alternative energy viable. Will we look back in 15 years and say "Why hasn't photovoltaic power generation become affordable?"

I agree. I would support those people who want to buy the technology now, even giving them reasonable tax credits for both buyers and builders, but I stop short of forcing people to sign onto unproved or flawed technology. You want to buy CFL's? Fine, but don't ban the sale of incandescents.
Tax credits for electric cars OK, but don't make people with old cars have to pay a luxury tax.

I'm waiting for LED bulbs to hit the market full force. That's going to be so cool! Bulbs with enormous life spans that draw almost no energy!

I agree with what you say, SS109.

30 Sep 2010 10:23 #10 by TPP

So, kindly kiss my A$$!

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds