Odds of Life on Nearby Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says

30 Sep 2010 12:47 #1 by Nmysys
Odds of Life on Nearby Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says

By Jeanna Bryner

Published September 29, 2010

| Space.com

An Earth-size planet has been spotted orbiting a nearby star at a distance that would makes it not too hot and not too cold -- comfortable enough for life to exist, researchers announced Wednesday.

If confirmed, the exoplanet, named Gliese 581g, would be the first Earth-like world found residing in a star's habitable zone -- a region where a planet's temperature could sustain liquid water on its surface.[Illustration of planet Gliese 581g.]

And the planet's discoverers are optimistic about the prospects for finding life there.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/29/odds-life-newfound-earth-size-planet-percent-astronomer-say/?test=latestnews

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Sep 2010 12:51 #2 by BuyersAgent1

30 Sep 2010 12:57 #3 by Martin Ent Inc
Yeah they been coming by more often lately.

30 Sep 2010 12:58 #4 by Nmysys
Just think, the next generations after us could actually have a visit from E.T.!!!!!! Amazing to me how much advancement there has been just in my lifetime.

:Hotnews:

30 Sep 2010 13:51 #5 by FredHayek
How many light years away? It just seems strange to me that you could tell all this by a telescope so freakin' far away. And how can they test the atmosphere?

I do like the Goldilocks reference to "good" planets, not too warm, and not too cold.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds