Obama Needs Someone Who Will Say "No" To Him

01 Oct 2010 11:37 #1 by Nmysys

Opinion
Obama Needs Someone Who Will Say No to Him

By Doug Schoen

Published October 01, 2010

| FoxNews.com

Today is expected to bring the official announcement that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel will be exiting the administration in order to pursue a bid for Mayor of Chicago. Immediately following the announcement, it is expected President Obama will also announce the appointment of Pete Rouse to the post on an interim basis.
If the president wants to truly get his administration moving forward, the appointment of Rouse must only be temporary as he looks outside his inner circle for a true game changer.

Obama is floundering at the moment and it is a common, and understandable, critique that he is too reliant on a close circle of advisers who all tend to think the same way. Worse, that circle is shrinking and the country is suffering because of it. It is imperative that the president install a person with independence, as well as unquestionable credibility to take command of the White House staff and help right the ship.

The president must also wake up to the reality that the Republicans are gaining influence come the November elections, if not completely taking over both chambers of Congress and he needs someone who will command the respect of the right as well as the left.

Complete Opinion piece:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/10/01/doug-schoen-rahm-emanuel-white-house-chicago-mayor-obama-pete-rouse-erskine/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Oct 2010 11:39 #2 by TPP
Wait UNTIL Nov.

01 Oct 2010 12:14 #3 by ScienceChic

Nmysys wrote: it is a common, and understandable, critique that he is too reliant on a close circle of advisers who all tend to think the same way

So what he needs is someone who thinks totally opposite of him, politically, to balance his viewpoint? Does this mean that the next time a conservative president is elected, that s/he should have a liberal top advisor to balance them? And that we ourselves would be better off should we start paying more attention to those with whom we don't always agree? :wink: :biggrin: :wave: Hmm, I think I could agree with that!

Nmysys wrote: It is imperative that the president install a person with independence, as well as unquestionable credibility to take command of the White House staff and help right the ship.
...and he needs someone who will command the respect of the right as well as the left.

It would be great if there'd be constructive dialog between the parties and effective legislation come out of it, rather than the crap we've been getting for decades now...

It is also of great importance the person has ties to the business community

This I do not agree with - our elected officials are already too cozy with business, Wall Street, banks, etc. They should serve the People, not Corporations.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Oct 2010 12:22 #4 by Nmysys
There is small business to be considered in that context Sciencechic!!

Throughout our history we have had Representatives and Senators who came from the private sector of business.

This is an opinion piece, that I found to be interesting, inasmuch as I do agree that all advisers need not just be strictly "yes" men or women. It doesn't say that they have to be direct opposites of the Commander in Chief, IMHO, having different perspectives would help any President stay somewhat to the center of either party line, rather than going to the far extremes.

01 Oct 2010 12:27 #5 by Scruffy
You're being entirely too reasonable today, Nmysys.

01 Oct 2010 12:35 #6 by FredHayek
Personally I liked the Founding Father's idea of having the loser of the election being VP. Gives you an opposing viewpoint.

I actually heard stories of significant discord within his administration, with many of the losers moving on, like Rahm, and Larry Summers.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Oct 2010 12:36 #7 by Grady
I'd take that job. I need unfettered access to Obama, $450K, an apartment in Gerogetown, 1 week in DC 1 week in Conifer.

01 Oct 2010 12:38 #8 by Nmysys
Reasonable or rational, Scruffy??

01 Oct 2010 13:09 #9 by Scruffy
You're never rational, Nmysys, but today you are being reasonable. :jk2:

04 Oct 2010 09:53 #10 by Nmysys
Maybe I was reasonably rational. The question was regarding Obama needing someone who could or would say no once in a while, therefore being an anchor to the balloon. Do you agree Scruffy?

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds