It’s the social issues, stupid!!

05 Oct 2010 10:19 #1 by Nmysys
This is an interesting Opinion piece that we should discuss!!
Opinion
It's STILL the Social Issues, Stupid

By Shane Vander Hart

Published October 04, 2010

| FoxNews.com

“It’s the social issues, stupid.” With the growing list of Republican leaders wanting to throw social conservatism under the bus, I must harken back to the affinity of President Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign catch phrase. Okay, I know that the line then was, "It's the economy, stupid." And it’s still easy to think about that when, by nature we tend to think with our wallets.

Today, it’s also easy to believe that issues like abortion and marriage are on the periphery in light of longer unemployment lines, an exploding national debt and Obamacare.

To think economic issues should be a major campaign theme is understandable, but to fly the white flag of surrender is quite another. It is nonsensical to declare a truce on social issues when so much is at stake, and we have a strong upper hand.

Read the Complete Opinion piece:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/10/04/shane-vander-hart-social-issues-stupid-clinton-economy-mitch-daniels-hayley/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Oct 2010 12:56 #2 by FredHayek
Actually I disagree. The TEA Party has a large tent including independents and Dems, pushing a soical agenda will push them back into Obama's arms. The US is becoming more secular every day, and even the religious people I know don't always agree with anit-abortion or anti-homosexual platforms.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 Oct 2010 13:43 #3 by BearMtnHIB
I agree SS109. This opinion is dead wrong. A sure fire way to get off track is to start bringing up social issues when the main focus should be on the economic problems.

It is nonsensical to declare a truce on social issues when so much is at stake, and we have a strong upper hand.

Just because we may have a "strong upper hand" as conservatives is no excuse to screw it all up. I have always thought that bringing in issues like abortion is what drove many away from the legacy that Reagan started.

If we follow this guys advice- conservatives will be losing elections again in record time.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds