Amend 60, 61 and Prop 101 Conifer High School

06 Oct 2010 22:08 - 07 Oct 2010 13:12 #1 by CC
We are in the process of getting the video up for this event.
Here are a couple of hand outs that were passed out this evening. I will provide a link to the video here in the morning.

Amend/Prop Video Conifer High School

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Oct 2010 23:03 #2 by ColoradoXprss
Thanks Becky, look forward to viewing the video. Thanks again for all you do for this community and our neighbors down the hill.

07 Oct 2010 05:03 #3 by TPP
If these pass it will effect those working up here, my son girlfriend WILL be let go...

07 Oct 2010 08:33 #4 by BearMtnHIB
If these don't pass - it will be those who are having problems in this economy that get hit the hardest with the skyrocketing tax bill.

Those elderly citizens on a fixed income will be hit the worst. As their tax bill continue to rise, more and more of what little income they have will go straight to the tax man.

I think it's ironic that the anti-60,61,101 crowd uses this scare tactic of senior centers - when the result of not passing these measures will affect seniors, low income and fixed income residents the most.

07 Oct 2010 09:26 #5 by EddieWess

BearMtnHIB wrote: I think it's ironic that the anti-60,61,101 crowd uses this scare tactic of senior centers - when the result of not passing these measures will affect seniors, low income and fixed income residents the most.

Please explain why you think this will be the case.

07 Oct 2010 10:05 #6 by BearMtnHIB

Please explain why you think this will be the case

Do you really need the explanation or can you, like me, follow the logic here.

The only effect of Proposition 101 on school district revenue is on the vehicle ownership tax, reduced in four yearly steps. State aid is already required by law to replace 100% of that revenue effect. Schools will not face ANY revenue loss.

Colorado taxes are regressive; they cost proportionately more to low-income people. Proposition 101 reduces that unfairness by lowering taxes on basic needs--vehicles and phones. That relief benefits most those who have the least.

Capish?

07 Oct 2010 12:29 #7 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Amend 60, 61 and Prop 101 Conifer High School
Here is your video.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/video.php?page=12 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">video.php?page=12<!-- l -->

08 Oct 2010 07:54 #8 by BearMtnHIB
I watched the video - thank you for recording and posting it.

It was the typical dog and pony show one would expect - looks like there were about 20 people who showed up for the event, from what I could tell.

I just wanted to voice my opinion - as I believe the first two speakers were outright lying, with the balance of the speakers simply exaggerating the impact these measures would have.

It's clear to me that Jeffco comissioner Kathy Hartman is no friend to the thousands of taxpayers who are experiencing tough times in this resession. Our local government has grown year after year - increasing their budgets and building new facilities and nice raises to the employees. They want to continue down this road as if economic conditions have not changed for those who pay their bills, even when the citizen taxpayers are struggling. Talk about having your head buried in the sand!

They act like a 3 to 5% cut in tax collections will ruin them and nothing could be further from the truth. Our comissioner Hartman has even threatened to cut snow plowing services if these measures pass. Of course they will threaten to cut one of the only services we taxpayers actually need, in order to get their point across.

I will be voting against Kathy Hartman in a few weeks.

The families in Jefferson county are doing more with less money - and we should expect our local government to do it's part, so more of us can make it through these tough times - and continue to afford to live in this community.

08 Oct 2010 10:27 #9 by daisypusher
I had a nice conversation with a local librarian and he/she was telling me how the Jeff CO Library is cutting front desk librarian jobs and may close another day a week instead of admins taking a salary cut. IMO, the first step in reducing government expenses is to adjust salaries and retirement plans to be on par with the private sector.

08 Oct 2010 10:38 #10 by CC
Actually...there were about 100 people there to listen to the presentation.
This is probably one of the most important issues we will vote on this year.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds