'A Frontier of Medicine': Brain Surgery for Weight Loss

09 Oct 2010 19:12 #1 by CinnamonGirl
For Carol Poe, obesity is the most painful problem in the world. She tried everything from dieting to bariatric surgery to reduce her body weight. As these methods continued to fail, Poe, tired of being morbidly overweight, underwent the most radical treatment ever devised for obesity -- brain surgery.

Read the rest here--http://abcnews.go.com/Health/frontier-medicine-brain-surgery-weight-loss/story?id=7023288

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Oct 2010 20:53 #2 by major bean
Remember the wonders of lobotomy? If we could ask Joseph Kennedy in the grave if he would again force that new surgical breakthrough upon his daughter, Rosemary, what do you reckon his response would be?

Regards,
Major Bean

09 Oct 2010 22:35 #3 by ScienceChic
I had no idea that gastric bypass surgery could fail. It's awful, and sad, that there are those that must resort to such drastic measures to keep their weight under control. It's good that there are strict criteria for someone to qualify for this type of surgery - I hope that it stays this way because this should not become a common surgery to "fix" anyone's problems, whatever they may be.

I read the following story today in Science News. I haven't checked out the primary research articles, but if this preliminary research pans out, it could benefit some of the population if the vaccine against the virus can reverse the symptoms it caused.
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... cold_virus
Obesity in children linked to common cold virus
Adenovirus-36 may be making kids heavier, new study suggests
By Tina Hesman Saey
October 9th, 2010; Vol.178 #8
Childhood obesity is not only an epidemic, it may be an infectious disease transmitted by a common cold virus, a new study suggests.

Children exposed to adenovirus-36 were more likely to be obese than were children who had no evidence of infection, according to a study published online September 20 in Pediatrics. About 30 percent of obese adults carry antibodies against adenovirus-36 while about 10 percent of normal-weight people do, Atkinson and others have shown.

Experiments on human cells in laboratory dishes explain how the virus promotes weight gain — adult stem cells infected with the virus make more fat cells, and those fat cells store more fat (SN: 8/25/07, p. 115).

This paper looked at other contributors to obesity. Links include: older mothers (offspring of older mothers are more likely to be obese), air-conditioning (it takes energy to stay cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold - climate controlled environments are reducing our calorie burn), medication, less sleep, and environmental contaminants (specifically, hormone-like chemicals).
Ten Putative Contributors to the Obesity Epidemic
Emily J. McAllister; Nikhil V. Dhurandhar; Scott W. Keith; Louis J. Aronne; Jamie Barger; Monica Baskin; Ruth M. Benca; Joseph Biggio; Mary M. Boggiano; Joe C. Eisenmann; Mai Elobeid; Kevin R. Fontaine; Peter Gluckman; Erin C. Hanlon; Peter Katzmarzyk; Angelo Pietrobelli; David T. Redden; Douglas M. Ruden; Chenxi Wang; Robert A. Waterland; Suzanne M. Wright; David B. Allison
result Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 1549-7852, Volume 49, Issue 10, 2009, Pages 868 – 913

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Oct 2010 06:54 #4 by Rockdoc
A fundamental theme here is that we have managed to mitigate natural adjustments humans used to make without thinking about them. Air conditioning - never thought about it in terms of metabolic cost. Makes sense.

11 Oct 2010 13:43 #5 by FredHayek
I would have to be super desperate to submit to brain surgery for weight reduction.
Good theory about a/c. I believe childhood obesity is more related to lifestyle changes than McDonalds. I am betting McDonalds was much more unhealthy for you in the 1950's than today. But back then kids had to walk 10 miles to school, uphill both ways, in a foot of snow.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds