Italy Comes up with Anti-Prostitution Plan

17 Oct 2010 16:11 #1 by Nmysys
http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/italy-plans-to-denude-forest-to-fight-prostitution/19676228?test=latestnews

Italy Plans to Denude Forest to Fight Prostitution

Dave Thier Contributor
AOL News
(Oct. 17) -- An Italian region struggling with policing the sex trade along a heavily wooded road has come up with a novel solution: Just chop down the forest.

According to the Guardian newspaper, the regional government of Abruzzo in central Italy has tried 24-hour patrols, raids and cameras to curb the rampant sex trade on the Bonifica del Tronto road -- all to no effect.

Finally, Angelo di Paolo, the regional government's notoriously decisive public works chief, decided that fighting the forest would be much easier then fighting the sex trade. He declared that all the vegetation on or around the banks of the River Tonto would be cut down.

Environmental groups are protesting, saying the plan would destroy 69 acres of woodland vital to local ecosystems.

Sponsored Links
Wood puns aside, the Italian state has traditionally had a hands-off approach to the sex industry. Street prostitution was legal until 2008, when the minster for equal opportunities, former topless model Mara Carfagna, introduced a national system of fines and jail time for people caught buying or selling sex. She called it the first substantive action against the sex trade in 50 years.

Since then, Premier Silvio Berlusconi's conservative crackdown on crime and illegal immigration has also attempted to curb the human trafficking of sex workers. A recent census of the Bonifica del Tronto region found about 600 prostitutes from Nigeria, Romania, Brazil, Albania and China.

But it remains to be seen whether Abruzzo's plan will do much to eliminate the larger social problem, or just force human traffickers and prostitutes into different environs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Oct 2010 07:23 #2 by FredHayek
Seems like a wrongheaded solution. Like burning down empty buildings to prevent squatters.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Oct 2010 13:17 #3 by ComputerBreath
Love my mom, but she can be real naive...she visited me when I was stationed in Italy in 1997 and one late night when we were headed home from eating dinner out, we passed a gal that was standing on the street, dressed not so warmly for February in Italy. Mom suggested we stop and give her a ride 'cuz it looked like she was cold... My male friend Dave and I had a real hard time not laughing while telling her that this gal was looking for a ride, just not the kind from one place to another with 2 young kids and 3 adults in the vehicle!!

A lot of these "ladies" got out of getting in trouble by telling the policia that they were waiting for a ride!

18 Oct 2010 13:44 #4 by FredHayek
My boss gave a ride to a girl on Federal once and then once he figured out was happening, she asked for a ride back to her original corner.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Oct 2010 14:09 #5 by The Viking
Oh I thought they were just going to force all prostitues to wear a Nancy Pelosi mask when working. They would never have sex again!

18 Oct 2010 14:26 #6 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote: Oh I thought they were just going to force all prostitues to wear a Nancy Pelosi mask when working. They would never have sex again!

Why are you posting a Christine O'Donnell mask and saying it's a Pelosi mask?

18 Oct 2010 14:27 #7 by Nmysys
:lol:

Well they can't all look like Gina Lolabrigida or Sophia Loren.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds