No Vacation Nation

31 May 2010 09:29 #11 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic No Vacation Nation

CinnamonGirl wrote: The U.S. is the only developed nation with no legally required vacation for its workers. Why is America the only industrialized nation that thinks of vacation as a perk, not a right? Video

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= ... ideoArea.0

Duh, huh...Its because corporate interests run the country...Why have wages been stagnant since Ronald Reagan was president? It's the corporate republican war on the middle class..It all started when we tried to get in the way of the Viet Nam war..The Bilderbergers decided we had too much money, too much time and too much education...I blame you people for cheering on the demise of us all- Your still doing it in this health care debate

Look at us now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 May 2010 09:49 - 10 Jun 2013 17:17 #12 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic No Vacation Nation

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

31 May 2010 09:55 #13 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic No Vacation Nation

JoeTheSepticTankPumper wrote: Doc, I agree about the need for a break and rest/safety etc.... Personally I like the 4/10hr work week with 3-day weekends. Most low wage jobs that I had early on let you have unpaid time off if you wanted it. I just prefer letting people negotiate rather than having the gov't take care of you. Good points though!

Now there is something that is not used enough 4/10hr work weeks. This is actually better than a set vacation because studies show the stress is back three days after you return from vacation. A longer weekend would be more effective in reducing stress on a regular basis.

You point on government is well taken. I bridle at someone telling me what to do and am not a big supporter of more government. I'd rather see less.

31 May 2010 09:57 #14 by Rockdoc

jf1acai wrote: Sometimes the stress of fixing everything that was messed up by your 'replacement' is worse than not taking a vacation. :wink:

I guess we all have some kind of story like that. lol

31 May 2010 10:04 #15 by Rockdoc

Vice Lord wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: The U.S. is the only developed nation with no legally required vacation for its workers. Why is America the only industrialized nation that thinks of vacation as a perk, not a right? Video

Duh, huh...Its because corporate interests run the country...Why have wages been stagnant since Ronald Reagan was president? It's the corporate republican war on the middle class..It all started when we tried to get in the way of the Viet Nam war..The Bilderbergers decided we had too much money, too much time and too much education...I blame you people for cheering on the demise of us all- Your still doing it in this health care debate

Look at us now

Let me say right here and now. I am not a health care advocate. Also, my post is meant for discussion purposes only. There is much that needs to be considered. Vacationing is not the only solution to the health risk of hard working people. Already pointed out was using a 4/20 work week, something I did not consider but conceptually makes more sense in terms of relieving cumulative stress on a regular basis. Other ideas?

31 May 2010 12:20 #16 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic No Vacation Nation

Vice Lord wrote:

Look at us now

Of course, if you want to follow the Euro model, be prepared for much more unemployment. The French have about twice the unemployment of America. Workers have so many rights, benefits, and simply hard to fire that businesses are reluctant to take on new employees.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

31 May 2010 12:51 #17 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic No Vacation Nation

SS109 wrote: The French have about twice the unemployment of America. Workers have so many rights, benefits, and simply hard to fire that businesses are reluctant to take on new employees.

U.S. unemployment 9.9% France 10% United Kingdom 8% Germany 7.5%

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds