No Vacation Nation

31 May 2010 06:25 #1 by CinnamonGirl
No Vacation Nation was created by CinnamonGirl
The U.S. is the only developed nation with no legally required vacation for its workers. Why is America the only industrialized nation that thinks of vacation as a perk, not a right? Video

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= ... ideoArea.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 May 2010 06:41 #2 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic No Vacation Nation
I never thought about this. I was always aware that people in other countries had lots of vacation but failed ot connect the dots that there was a government mandate behind it. I also never asked why I had to leave Saudi for a minimum of 30 days a year when I worked there. Now I suspect this also is a government mandate, just like the government here will not allow a consultant to work 7 days a week. I'm glad to see some movement on this matter in the US.

31 May 2010 06:46 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic No Vacation Nation
I think it makes sense to start legislation on it.

31 May 2010 07:03 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic No Vacation Nation
Yep, we have the shortest vacations, compared to the UK, and Europe. In the UK, going on holiday can be a month-long event.

31 May 2010 07:47 #5 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic No Vacation Nation
They say one reason that Europe demands so much vacation is their high personal income taxes. Employees would rather see a couple weeks more of vacation that the goverment can't take away then a 5% pay increase but only 2.5% takehome pay. And another reason why goverment likes mandating more vacation is that it increases employment, and it doesn't cost goverment any money, private industry has to pay for it. And hire more workers to cover their vacationing workers.
I know at my workplace right now, I could only take a week at a time vacation because I don't have any coverage.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

31 May 2010 08:06 #6 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic No Vacation Nation
Wow, I never knew that. :goodpost:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

31 May 2010 09:05 - 10 Jun 2013 17:19 #7 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic No Vacation Nation

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

31 May 2010 09:10 #8 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic No Vacation Nation
Yup. i worked for a corporation that would let you sell your vacation back for pay.. any time of the year. you'd get a week's pay ON TOP OF your regular pay. i used it to buy things I really wanted that i couldn't afford otherwise.

31 May 2010 09:23 - 31 May 2010 09:33 #9 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic No Vacation Nation

JoeTheSepticTankPumper wrote: I am all for more vacation too. Although I don't see it as a "right", or something the gov't should legislate.

It is actually part of your pay, more vacation = less salary. I worked at a co once where people sold their unused vacation back at the end of the year for more pay.

Your point is understood and clearly some companies operate that way. The fundamental point missing is work without a break leads to not only fatigue and a dull mind, but also accidents and more importantly early employee death. Work without time off translates into elevated stress.

I'd argue that if people were not so fearful of loosing their job while taking time off they would be more productive employees. The water cooler is not just a socializing point. Traffic to it and other areas of temporary escape are efforts to relieve stress as well as physical and mental weariness. It's not any different than running a car with the peddle to the metal. It will perform for some time, but the engine strain soon diminishes performance followed by failure. An employer pays one way or another. Poor performance is costly as is health insurance, not to mention the cost involved in bringing a new and less efficient (lack of experience) worker on line.

Business is there to make a profit. Employees largely are no longer considered a valuable assets. Instead, like a car, when it wears out we get rid of it, buy a new one and begin abusing it anew. Sadly, employes are simple expendable tools, a central theme of our instant and throw-away American culture.

That said, a company is not going to give up a practice they clearly see as beneficial. If so, it obviously argues against what I detailed previously about cost to the employer. This is why government needs to invoke legislation. It really ought to be part of the Health care program.

31 May 2010 09:28 #10 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic No Vacation Nation
Sometimes the stress of fixing everything that was messed up by your 'replacement' is worse than not taking a vacation. :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds