Do you consider using Medical Marijuana getting high?

21 Oct 2010 04:38 #1 by CinnamonGirl
I heard this term in the news- 'It is now legal to get high' This made me think, it used to be that if you used MM you were getting high. Now if it is legal does that mean if you use it medically you are not getting high anymore? Also, how do you feel about using it while working? What is the difference from something like xanax or Vicodin? Is there warnings about driving while taking the drug on the container?

I guess my point is what has changed? Just perception because it is legal now. Now you are not high anymore? This is not a statement or judgement from me, it is a real question, I am curious. This decision is going to change societal perceptions about other drugs down the road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Oct 2010 05:09 #2 by HEARTLESS
Getting high recreationally/for fun and for pain/nausea control are different things. Until the Feds are told elsewise, its still a controlled substance. This may be yet another case of the Feds overstepping the rights of the states. Elect Tancredo and he will push for legalizing pot, and push to reestablish what the purpose of the Feds is under the 10th Amendment.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

21 Oct 2010 06:17 #3 by RenegadeCJ
As of right now, an employer can still ban MM in the workplace. I would hate to see all the injuries if people were allowed to "medicate" on the way to work then go do any of the high risk jobs out there.

And yes, it is still getting high...

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

21 Oct 2010 07:18 #4 by V_A
When used for "REAL" medical needs I don't classify it as getting high.

I believe a high percentage of the people with MM cards are not using it for "REAL" medical needs and they just want to get high. For example I know a person with the card who has it for severe migraines. He gets these once a month but makes sure he is stoned most of the month and has the fed paying his mortgage. I consider him an abuser of the system.

21 Oct 2010 07:20 #5 by Nobody that matters
Getting high is just getting high. The effects of the drug don't change. The reason that person is seeking the high might be different, but it's still just getting high.

Pain killers help you disconnect.

Pot makes you high.

Both help to give you a break from discomfort. That's not a bad thing. Matter of fact, it's a good thing. But, it's still getting high, and it's still being abused.

I don't drive on pain killers, I wouldn't drive on pot (if I smoked). I don't drive after drinking.

And I don't do anything to alter my mind when my employer is paying me. The company deserves me at my best and clearest. If I have a condition causing pain, I either endure it or call in sick.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

21 Oct 2010 09:52 #6 by ComputerBreath
Anything that alters a person's perception or ability to operate anything means they are getting high. Mild muscle relaxers I take for IBS get me feeling good...it takes my pain away, but I make sure I don't take them when I know I'll be driving or where I'll be needing to pay attention because my abilities are impaired.

And anything that "makes a person feel good" or alters their reality will be abused, whether it is legal or not.

It has always been "legal to get high"...when the prescription is legal or when the person is of legal age to drink.

21 Oct 2010 12:07 #7 by HEARTLESS
All the previous posters are also correct, anything that alters your abilities can earn you a DUI at least, even perscription drugs.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

21 Oct 2010 12:30 #8 by Photo-fish
As I was driving home from my Dr. appt. and Walgreens yesterday in Evergreen, I was feeling very wiped out and a tad disoriented from my illness and fatigue (no drugs involved yet, I waited till I was at home). Is this kind of impairment the same. I though that after I got home.

If you don't think you are getting high when you use MMJ, then you need to find a new dispensary because they may be giving you 'shwag'. (Edit to add: I have no personal experience in these matters)

I have heard that the tinctures available can relieve joint and nerve pain with out the buzz. I thought about recommending this to my SIL who has MS. Anyone have info on this?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

21 Oct 2010 16:20 #9 by Ice
The tincture is better for pain, not much buzz. It is more expensive though.My sister uses it for MS and can't be high or impaired.

21 Oct 2010 16:39 #10 by Photo-fish
Thanks. I'll need to do more research before I bring it up to here as a option.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds