Obama Underappreciation Syndrome

23 Oct 2010 17:20 #1 by Nmysys
This was sent to me and I thought I would share it. I do not have the link to post.

Obama Underappreciation Syndrome

By Charles Krauthammer / The Washington Post

October 22, 2010

WASHINGTON - In an increasingly desperate attempt to develop a narrative for the coming Democratic collapse, the Democrats have indulged themselves in what for half a century they've habitually attributed to the American right - the paranoid style in American politics. The talk is of dark conspiracies - secret money, foreign influence, big corporations, with Karl Rove and, yes, Ed Gillespie lurking ominously behind the scenes. The only thing missing is the Halliburton-Cheney angle.

But after trotting out some of these with a noticeable lack of success, President Obama has come up with something new, something less common, something more befitting his stature and intellect. He's now offering a scientific, indeed neurological, explanation for his current political troubles. The electorate apparently is deranged by its anxieties and fears to the point where it can't think straight. Part of the reason "facts and science and argument does not seem to be winning the day all the time," he explained to a Massachusetts audience, "is because we're hard-wired not to always think clearly when we're scared. And the country is scared."

Opening a whole new branch of cognitive science - liberal psychology - Obama has discovered a new principle: The fearful brain is hard-wired to act befuddled, i.e., vote Republican.

But of course. Here Obama has spent two years bestowing upon the peasantry the "New Foundation" of a more regulated, socially engineered and therefore more humane society, and they repay him with recalcitrance and outright opposition. Here he gave them Obamacare, the stimulus, financial regulation and a shot at cap-and-trade - and the electorate remains not just unmoved but ungrateful.

Faced with this truly puzzling conundrum, Dr. Obama diagnoses a heretofore undiscovered psychological derangement: anxiety-induced Obama Underappreciation Syndrome, wherein an entire population is so addled by its economic anxieties as to be neurologically incapable of appreciating the "facts and science" undergirding Obamacare and the other blessings their president has bestowed upon them from on high.

I have a better explanation. Better because it adheres to the ultimate scientific principle, Occam's Razor, by which the preferred explanation for any phenomenon is the one with the most economy and simplicity. And there is nothing simpler than the Gallup findings on the ideological inclinations of the American people. Conservative: 42 percent. Moderate: 35 percent. Liberal: 20 percent. No fanciful new syndromes or other elaborate fictions are required to understand that if you try to impose a liberal agenda on such a demonstrably center-right country - a country that is 80 percent non-liberal - you get a massive backlash.

Moreover, apart from ideology is empirical reality. Even as we speak, the social democratic model Obama is openly and boldly trying to move America toward is unraveling in Europe. It's not just the real prospect of financial collapse in Greece, Spain, Portugal and Ireland, with even the relatively more stable major countries in severe distress. It is the visible moral collapse of a system that, after two generations of increasing cradle-to-grave infantilization, turns millions of citizens into the streets of France in furious and often violent protest over what? Over raising the retirement age from 60 to 62!

Having seen this display of what can only be called decadence, Obama's perfectly wired electorate says no, not us, not here. The peasants have seen the future - Greece and France - and concluded that it does not work. Hence their opposition to Obama's proudly transformational New Foundation agenda. Their logic is impeccable: Only the most blinkered intellectual could be attempting to introduce social democracy to America precisely at a time when the world's foremost exemplar of that model - Europe - is in chaotic meltdown.

And it isn't as if this political message is new. It had already been sent in the last year with clarion clarity in the elections in Virginia, New Jersey and Massachusetts where independents - the swing voters without ideological attachment one way or the other - split 2-to-1, 2-to-1 and 3-to-1, respectively, against the Democrats.

The story of the last two years is as simple as it is dramatic. It is the epic story of an administration with a highly ideological agenda encountering a rising resistance from the American people over the major question in dispute: the size and reach and power of government and, even more fundamentally, the nature of the American social contract.

An adjudication of the question will be rendered on Nov. 2. For the day, the American peasantry will be presiding.

Charles Krauthammer's e-mail address is . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Oct 2010 20:53 #2 by Wayne Harrison
But, but I'm pretty sure you think the Washington Post is a "liberal rag" -- part of "liberal media" -- and therefore you can't believe anything it publishes. Now, you're quoting it (that's OK, Rush does the same thing -- regularly reads articles from the "drive-by media" that he frequently slams -- like being a conservative radio talk show host is on some higher plane of existence).

P.S. I Googled the title of the article and got the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04856.html

23 Oct 2010 21:04 #3 by jf1acai
Is it really possible to underappreciate Obama?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

24 Oct 2010 04:17 #4 by PrintSmith
Is my appreciation of the damage the progressive agenda has done, is doing and will continue to do to our republic the same as underappreciation of Obama? :lol:

24 Oct 2010 06:23 #5 by Nmysys
The Washington Post is a Liberal Rag, but Charles Krauthammer is one of the most brilliant men around and quite Conservative. I often read both sides to get opinions.

24 Oct 2010 09:54 #6 by Wayne Harrison
Here's another article from another "liberal rag" ....

What Happened to Change We Can Believe In?
By FRANK RICH

Published: October 23, 2010

PRESIDENT Obama, the Rodney Dangerfield of 2010, gets no respect for averting another Great Depression, for saving 3.3 million jobs with stimulus spending, or for salvaging GM and Chrysler from the junkyard. And none of these good deeds, no matter how substantial, will go unpunished if the projected Democratic bloodbath materializes on Election Day. Some are even going unremembered. For Obama, the ultimate indignity is the Times/CBS News poll in September showing that only 8 percent of Americans know that he gave 95 percent of American taxpayers a tax cut.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/opini ... ss&emc=rss

24 Oct 2010 19:18 #7 by Nmysys
Whats your point Pineguy? Just because you can point to a few articles that are just now appearing against Obama doesn't mean that the Drive-by media is doing anything except boiler plating there butts. Just recently there have been some articles coming out against Obama, but how about before the election and for the 20 months he has been destroying what this country stands for?

You can't take back all the bullsh** you have posted in favor of his policies now that we have come this far down this destructive past. We all know where you stand!!!

24 Oct 2010 19:45 #8 by JusSayin
The October 23 Frank Rich opinion piece in the New York Times was NOT an anti-Obama article. Rich defended Obama throughout most of his prose. But one need not read the entire piece to understand Rich's sympathies. Just read the first paragraph wherein he laughably credits Obama for having:
*averting another Great Depression
*saved 3.3 million jobs with stimulus spending
*salvaging GM and Chrysler from the junkyard

Any credibility Frank Rich may have achieved in his poor attempt at balanced storytelling was blown in the forst 100 words.

24 Oct 2010 21:10 #9 by Wayne Harrison
I never said it *was* an anti-Obama article.

25 Oct 2010 00:48 #10 by Residenttroll returns
I'll appreciate Obama on November 3 if Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid are retired.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds