~~COMMISSIONER'S AT IT AGAIN~~

31 Oct 2010 14:12 #1 by ColoradoXprss
Sharing this information for those that may be interested as we near the election in 2 days.

COMMISSIONERS AT IT AGAIN:
HOLD MONDAY, TUESDAY MEETINGS WITHOUT NOTICE ON WEBSITE
During budget and finance process, commissioners have been holding meetings on Mondays and Tuesdays without public notice on their website with other meeting notices. Some meetings are held away from the BOCC meeting room at alternate locations on unannounced days. Notice not published on website or in email notifications. Public is encouraged to call the administrative offices every Monday and Tuesday morning to get unpublished meeting schedules and agendas. Administrative offices: Phone: (719) 836-4201 Fax: (719) 836-3273
Related: Commissioners Tied In Knots Trying To Hide Meetings?

NOTICE TO PUBLIC: On last week's agenda, the BOCC listed a discussion on the Wednesday Work Session and marked it "Cancelled" at the end. The agenda did not state that the Commissioners intended to have that meeting on the day before the agenda that was published. The discussion was not cancelled, but moved to their Tuesday agenda which they do not publish on their website for the benefit of the public at large. Most of the public was unaware that there would be a Tuesday meeting. We now have information that they may do the same with Monday schedules. They may hold meetings and public discussions on either Monday or Tuesday without publishing the agendas or notices for those meetings on the website with the other notices. For this Wednesday, June 16, 2010, a discussion regarding the IT/Comm building was listed on the Wednesday agenda, but marked out and followed by "Cancelled." The jail discussion for last week was marked in the same way, then was held on the day before at an outlying location. One or two members of the public found out strictly by accident.

This appears, in our informed opinion, to be a continuation of the constructive withholding of information to which the public is legally entitled under Colorado's "Sunshine Law" applying to meeting notices. Park County Commissioners appear to be attempting to constructively prevent public attendance at meetings with sensitive content, such as Sheriff's Department overspending and million dollar losses in his operations, building of a new multi-million dollar building (the need for which is controversial), and any other subject matters that may embarrass your government officials or inconvenience them with public input.

Colorado Revised Statutes
24-6-401. Declaration of policy.
It is declared to be a matter of statewide concern and the policy of this state that the formation of public policy is public business and may not be conducted in secret.

24-6-402 Excerpt from Colorado's Sunshine Laws
(2)(c) Any meetings at which the adoption of any proposed policy, position, resolution, rule, regulation, or formal action occurs or at which a majority or quorum of the body is in attendance, or is expected to be in attendance, shall be held only after full and timely notice to the public. In addition to any other means of full and timely notice, a local public body shall be deemed to have given full and timely notice if the notice of the meeting is posted in a designated public place within the boundaries of the local public body no less than twenty-four hours prior to the holding of the meeting.

(Editorial note: Our county government posts notices of meetings only in very limited places, requiring the thousands of people who make up the county public and who might be interested in attending, to drive to the county offices daily to become informed of such meetings. The county has paid for the operations of a website on which they publish the notices for some meetings but refuse to publish others of the same type when they don't want easy access to the notice of the more secretive meetings. They post a Thursday meeting, for instance, but not a Tuesday meeting that would typically deal with spending issues. This continues without explanation.)

From Annotations:
The intent of the Open Meetings Law is to afford public access to a broad range of meetings at which public business is considered. Benson v. McCormick, 195 Colo. 381, 578 P.2d 651 (1978); Van Alstyne v. Hous. Auth. of City of Pueblo, 985 P.2d 97 (Colo. App. 1999); Bd. of County Comm'rs v. Costilla County Conservancy Dist., 88 P.3d 1188 (Colo. 2004)

The public meetings laws are interpreted broadly to further the legislative intent that citizens be given a greater opportunity to become fully informed on issues of public importance so that meaningful participation in the decision-making process may be achieved. Cole v. State, 673 P.2d 345 (Colo. 1983).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Oct 2010 15:36 #2 by Mtn Gramma
If you haven't voted yet (ParkCo), DO NOT VOTE FOR Mark Dowaliby. He's part of the above sneakiness.

31 Oct 2010 18:09 #3 by ColoradoXprss

Mtn Gramma wrote: If you haven't voted yet (ParkCo), DO NOT VOTE FOR Mark Dowaliby. He's part of the above sneakiness.

Haven't yet, but will be making my voice heard on Nov. 2nd. Dowaliby won't be at the top of my list for Commissioner. Thanks Mtn Gramma.

31 Oct 2010 18:40 #4 by navycpo7
I am proud to say I did not vote for him,

Drive to fairplay 1hr, cost of gas 20.00 dollars, look on his face when asked about the county credit card, priceless.

31 Oct 2010 18:47 #5 by rlcarolyn
Boy He sure gave me a nasty look when I asked him why he couldn't stay at the hotel across the street from the Plaza. That was at the special meeting for the VSO's expense report. (the lowest paid in the county)
I voted for Monica I like her and what she stands for.

31 Oct 2010 18:50 #6 by navycpo7

rlcarolyn wrote: Boy He sure gave me a nasty look when I asked him why he couldn't stay at the hotel across the street from the Plaza. That was at the special meeting for the VSO's expense report. (the lowest paid in the county)
I voted for Monica I like her and what she stands for.

I know we had the sweating, and I know two people lied that day, the lady that said she looks at the bill when it comes in, she might glance at it, but she does not look at it. And Dowliby saying he looks at it also. Did you notice the other two did not speak up at all about that.

31 Oct 2010 18:50 #7 by ColoradoXprss

navycpo7 wrote: I am proud to say I did not vote for him,

Drive to fairplay 1hr, cost of gas 20.00 dollars, look on his face when asked about the county credit card, priceless.

:yeahthat:  :Thanks: NavyCpo7

31 Oct 2010 18:55 #8 by navycpo7

ColoradoXprss wrote:

navycpo7 wrote: I am proud to say I did not vote for him,

:yeahthat:  :Thanks: NavyCpo7

I also asked them about thier travel guide for per diem rates, they said they had one. They did not say they use it just that they had one.

31 Oct 2010 19:02 #9 by rlcarolyn
yes I did! did you notice Tighe turned on the political soap box. Oh how he is here for the Vets. Dowliby (Doobie boy) over rolling his eyes and the 2 girls to the right finally one left she could handle it anymore. The just give us numbers with no checks and balances, they don't list it by the department with expenses and income or allocations. it's just a bunch of numbers! Love the transparency.

01 Nov 2010 10:15 #10 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Throw them out. And when the next bum gets in and does the same, throw them out as well.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds