Douglas County schools may explore school-choice options

07 Nov 2010 10:30 #1 by Travelingirl
"The concept of a public school district offering vouchers for private or religious schools is sparking an outpouring of emotion in Douglas County, long considered among the most innovative school districts in Colorado."
http://www.denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_16538588

I applaude the Douglas County school board for exploring school-choice options.

Competition wold be good, especially for the ensconced teacher's unions. It's time they live where the rest of us live and have to compete for their jobs which would ultimately be in the best interest of Colorado students. The down-side is government intrusion into private schools.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Nov 2010 14:02 - 08 Nov 2010 16:37 #2 by Grady
I saw this on one of the local TV channels, As you might expect, when the reporter interviewed different people the parents were in favor, the teacher's union rep wasn't.

07 Nov 2010 18:41 #3 by Travelingirl
I can't think of too many things the government has its fingers in that's successful...and that's including public education.

07 Nov 2010 18:45 #4 by JMC
I am all for vouchers as long as it does not give money to teaching religion. If the supporters of vouchers gave up on trying to funnel money to religious indoctrination they could have this passed in a year.

07 Nov 2010 19:38 #5 by Residenttroll returns

Grady wrote: I saw this on one of the local TV channels, As you might expect, when the reporter interviewed different people the partents were in favor, the teacher's union rep wasn't.

....and the teachers work for who?

07 Nov 2010 19:38 #6 by Residenttroll returns

travelingirl wrote: I can't think of too many things the government has its fingers in that's successful...and that's including public education.

SPENDING

07 Nov 2010 19:46 #7 by Residenttroll returns

JMC wrote: I am all for vouchers as long as it does not give money to teaching religion. If the supporters of vouchers gave up on trying to funnel money to religious indoctrination they could have this passed in a year.

How dare we teach children the Ten Commandments, but we will approve teaching Rules for Radicals.

How dare we teach the formation of earth by God, but we will approve teaching children a bacteria landed a pool of water and humans emerged.

How dare we teach Adam and Eve, but we will approve teaching them Adam and Steve.

How dare they read the greatest book ever written and still a best seller - the Bible, but we approve of Harry Potter.

Yea, JMC I agree....not! I find it interesting that the libtards in America fail to look back at history and see who started the education system in America. It wasn't some group of libtards - it was years after the first charter universities that a secular (MIT) college was even chartered - it was the churches of America - the Christian churches - that created and formed the original education system in America.

08 Nov 2010 16:27 #8 by RenegadeCJ

JMC wrote: I am all for vouchers as long as it does not give money to teaching religion. If the supporters of vouchers gave up on trying to funnel money to religious indoctrination they could have this passed in a year.

Why shouldn't parents be able to pick the education delivery system for their kids. This is the people's tax $$, not the govt's $$. Some of the religious institutions in Colorado teach academics at an extremely high level.

We've tried "govt delivery of education" for a long time, and it only gets worse and worse. Let's try this system.

Parents should be able to choose what type of delivery they want. The only rule should be a basic standards test. Beyond that, leave it up to the parents. Some may want a "environmental conscious" school. Another may want one with strict academics-reading, writing, math, science.

Why should the rich be the only ones with school choice??

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds