Another reason I don't try mountain climbing...

02 Jun 2010 07:30 #1 by Wayne Harrison
A stricken British adventurer was left to die at the top of Mount Everest after fellow climbers were forced to abandon him before they too became trapped.

Peter Kinloch, 28, was only 600ft into his descent from the summit of the world's tallest mountain when he suddenly began to stumble and complain he couldn't see properly.

Sherpas spent 12 hours helping him carry on through the freezing conditions.

But with his health deteriorating and having managed to descend only another 200ft, his rescuers faced the horrifying realisation that they must leave him to his fate.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0phayqoQz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jun 2010 08:33 #2 by TPP
OK, just so I get this correct, you would rather have the mountain fall on you, than you fall off the mountain?
Don't get me wrong, (admire both), done a little of both, and when I sobered up, I said "WTH?"
It's like those that will jump off a perfectly good bridge, tied to a rubber band, thanks, but I'll watch.

and help clean-up the mess.

02 Jun 2010 09:49 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Another reason I don't try mountain climbing...
I have a friend that said he is going to climb everest. Now he has three young kids and I asked him if he would be worried about dying. He said 1 out of 10 chance. I wondered why anyone would risk that with little kids. He was the mountaineering type and loves danger. I thought he was nuts.

02 Jun 2010 09:53 #4 by oscar615

CinnamonGirl wrote: I have a friend that said he is going to climb everest. Now he has three young kids and I asked him if he would be worried about dying. He said 1 out of 10 chance. I wondered why anyone would risk that with little kids. He was the mountaineering type and loves danger. I thought he was nuts.

Yes and selfish. He should wait until his kids are out of the house.

02 Jun 2010 09:55 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Another reason I don't try mountain climbing...
:exactly

02 Jun 2010 09:58 #6 by Wayne Harrison

TPP wrote: OK, just so I get this correct, you would rather have the mountain fall on you, than you fall off the mountain?

Yup. You can't fall UP from a cave.

02 Jun 2010 11:19 #7 by TPP
lol , but you can get stuck down in a cave.
I've seen your pictures, it's so closed in.

02 Jun 2010 12:14 #8 by conifermtman
My wife has a friend who's husband just summited Everest last week. It took him two tries because of weather.

02 Jun 2010 13:15 #9 by The Viking

oscar615 wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: I have a friend that said he is going to climb everest. Now he has three young kids and I asked him if he would be worried about dying. He said 1 out of 10 chance. I wondered why anyone would risk that with little kids. He was the mountaineering type and loves danger. I thought he was nuts.

Yes and selfish. He should wait until his kids are out of the house.

Then he might be too old to atempt it. And we all take chaces everyday just by getting in our car on the highway. Or for us up here, driving in snowstorms to get to work. Everyday, we all come in harms way many times I am sure but it just never happens and we don't know about it. Just last winter a car lost it on a bridge on ice and just missed me and hit the guard rail. If they would have hit me it may have been all over.

And for me, to have tried what you love and to pursue your passions is to truly live. I have skydived a few times, and bungee jumped a few times out of a balloon. Cage dived with sharks, (still want to swim with a whale and Great White), and jumped out of a raft and rode down class 2-3 rapids to see what it felt like. And many other things that have caused me dislocations, broken bones, and concussions. I will try anything once. Climbing Everest to me holds no appeal at all but I understand the draw and desire to attempt things while you are still able. And I don't begrudge anyone the right to live life to the fullest. I know with kids it may seem selfish but to me it is showing them that there is a great big world out there to go and tackle, and nothing is impossible, and not to just sit in front of the TV and play video games.

02 Jun 2010 15:27 #10 by CinnamonGirl
I think he is 38. He prides himself of being a mountain survivor. Not my speed. Is 38 too old? I mean for the mount everest thing? HE was a marine too. He had some great marine stories.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds