Huckabee: Revolt Against Gay Marriage Grows

22 Nov 2010 14:49 #1 by outdoor338
Michael Huckabee is saying the right things as he courts evangelical conservative in Iowa, who were key supporters in his victory in the Iowa caucuses of 2008. The ex-Arkansas governor is likely to run for president again in 2012. In a speech at a church in Des Moines Sunday, he said Iowa voters probably started a national movement when they threw out three state Supreme Court justices who agreed with a decision to reverse a ban on gay marriage, The Associated Press reports.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/mike ... /id/377828

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2010 15:03 #2 by FredHayek
As a supporter of homosexual marriage, I was surprised to see Iowa judges allow it and California voters deny it.
Huckabee did good in Iowa in 2008 too, but can he win in New Hampshire?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Nov 2010 15:20 #3 by bailey bud
Outdoor -

Same sex union is a non-issue for me.

I think there's a difference between the church sanctioning holy matrimony - and the state documenting a union - thereby conveying to the individuals involved - rights, privledges, and a heck of a lot less legal problems.

The church I attend will not sanction a marriage between same-sex individuals. That's simply where they stand. I really don't care if the state documents union between same-sex individuals. It's no skin off my back. It certain saves the couples involved a lot of hassle (medical power of attorney, for example). I think that's just fine.

If the state tried to compel my church to recognize same-sex unions - I think I'd have a problem --- but that's not where we are, today. My church is free to do as it wishes - and if someone really wants a "sacred" ceremoney - I'm sure they can find a pastor to help them out.

Like it or not, same-sex unions are a part of reality. I don't think we serve anyone's interest by using the power of the state to harass them.

22 Nov 2010 16:02 #4 by FredHayek
Like I said, I do support Gay marriage but I would be against requiring a church to allow gay marriages on thier property. I would also be against requiring businesses to provide services for a same sex couple.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Nov 2010 16:33 #5 by ckm8
The right prefers to keep gays in men's rooms where they belong. Otherwise their rent-boys will be expecting something more permanent.

22 Nov 2010 16:37 #6 by Scruffy

SS109 wrote: Like I said, I do support Gay marriage but I would be against requiring a church to allow gay marriages on thier property. I would also be against requiring businesses to provide services for a same sex couple.

I'm confused. Why would you be against requiring businesses to provide services to gay couples? Wouldn't that be discrimination based on sexual orientation?

I agree that churches should not be required to allow gay marriages. That's a religious decision on the church's part.

22 Nov 2010 17:27 #7 by bailey bud
IMO, Businesses should be allowed to make decisions like benefit eligibility, based on their own values.

If you don't agree with those values - find another business to work for

In my own opinion - employment decisions are about the right to associate with who you chose to associate with.

Just as I don't think government should be used to bully same-sex couples, I don't think government should be compelling churches, individuals, or companies to accomodate those values.

In my opinion - that's what freedom is all about.

I won't impede your freedom to have a same-sex partner --- but you should not impede my freedom to say that I don't want my company or my church to support that if I don't want to.

In general - I just assume keep government out of this business.

It's a personal choice.

22 Nov 2010 19:20 #8 by Residenttroll returns
Good liberals love the government...that's why need the government to endorse their lifestyle. I think Teddy was right again. Liberalism is a disease.

22 Nov 2010 21:01 #9 by Scruffy

bailey bud wrote: IMO, Businesses should be allowed to make decisions like benefit eligibility, based on their own values.

If you don't agree with those values - find another business to work for

In my own opinion - employment decisions are about the right to associate with who you chose to associate with.

Just as I don't think government should be used to bully same-sex couples, I don't think government should be compelling churches, individuals, or companies to accomodate those values.

In my opinion - that's what freedom is all about.

I won't impede your freedom to have a same-sex partner --- but you should not impede my freedom to say that I don't want my company or my church to support that if I don't want to.

In general - I just assume keep government out of this business.

It's a personal choice.

Consider that if being homosexual is not a choice, if it is genetic, then refusing service to someone that is homosexual would be discrimination. We do not discriminate based upon race, since that is not a choice. If gay is not a choice, then would denying a person a seat at a restaurant based upon their sexual disposition be discriminating?

It certainly is your right to act as you see fit, but if homosexuality is not a choice, then your actions would be considered discrimination.

22 Nov 2010 21:14 #10 by bailey bud
Being alcoholic isn't always a choice - does that mean businesses should not discriminate against someone who is totally dysfunctional due to his/her drinking?

I think businesses, individuals, and organizations have the right to decide what values they'd like to communicate, endorse, and live.

I work in a profession (education) that has long since accepted same-sex couples.
It's a non-issue for me, as well as my profession.

However, I can see how some individuals feel their values would be compromised by hiring someone who is openly gay.

I think that's their choice.

It's a matter of being free to associate with the people you want to associate with.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds