What is the Best response to No. Korea? (poll)

26 Nov 2010 10:27 #11 by Scruffy
I dare you to refudiate my statement. Go ahead. I double dog dare you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Nov 2010 10:40 #12 by Nmysys
And you, mine!! Palin was only a candidate. Surely Obama has misspoken when he said he had visited all 57 states!!! Isn't that the response from you Libtards ( great word Teddy).

26 Nov 2010 11:06 #13 by cydl
Your points are well taken, Nmysys. I agree that we need to bring our government back to it's original intent - that is key to everything else. I also agree that our standing on the world stage is not so great right now thanks to years of botched foreign policy.

But I also believe that escalating another potential war with North Korea - a war that could draw in China - would completely bankrupt this country. I do think that the North Korean threat should be addressed. And why not by the regional democratic countries? If the US needs to get directly involved then I believe we need to forget about Iraq and Afghanistan - get out. One disaster at a time.

I hate to see the "nuclear option" put on the table, but I also believe that madman Kim Jong Il would not hesitate to use his nukes against S. Korea or anyone else, so your statement regarding moving tactical nukes into the region is not a bad idea - may make Iran think twice, too.

26 Nov 2010 11:24 #14 by Blazer Bob

cydl wrote: I hate to see the "nuclear option" put on the table, but I also believe that madman Kim Jong Il would not hesitate to use his nukes against S. Korea or anyone else, so your statement regarding moving tactical nukes into the region is not a bad idea - may make Iran think twice, too.

I believe we already have tactical nuc's there.

26 Nov 2010 11:52 #15 by outdoor338
Now would be a good time for our country to acknowledge all the Korean War Veterans from this "Forgotten War.". They made incredible sacrafices which resulted in South Korea being the great nation that it is today. It's a long over due thanks we owe these brave men and women. :soldiers: :fwave: :soldiers: :usa: :fwave:

26 Nov 2010 14:28 #16 by cydl

26 Nov 2010 20:13 #17 by ScienceChic
It may be that Kim Jong Il isn't totally behind this - he has been slipping for some time now (health, signaling that he'd hand the reigns to his non-military son, etc). This story makes me nervous:
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/11/25/nort ... l?from=rss
North Korea Strike May Have Been Premeditated

Attack could be a sign that Kim Jong-il no longer can control his generals.
In the past, North Korean leader Kim Jong-il used the relatively moderate foreign ministry to keep the military in check so things don’t spiral out of control. But recently, the military appears to be increasingly asserting itself on policy matters. In the past two years, military organs such as the Supreme Command of the KPA and the National Defense Commission have been issuing policy statements directed toward the outside world -- something that was mostly done by the foreign ministry in the past.

More frightening is that there are reasons to believe that the military has become so emboldened and powerful that Kim Jong-il may no longer be the absolute leader who calls the shots in Pyongyang.

It remains to be seen if anything comes of this - i.e. a military coup - but it doesn't bode well. Nukes are unnecessary and will only backfire on us. Stop sending aid and let the North Koreans stage their own revolt. China has no recourse for that maneuver; they will not join NK's side unless we actively attack, which we are in no position to do anyway.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Nov 2010 01:36 #18 by Local_Historian

cydl wrote: You know, this is going to sound harsh, but here goes:

Pull out of Afghanistan. Pull out of Iran. Pull out of Japan. Pull out of the Korean DMZ. Pull out of where ever. Since the end of WWII the world had relied on American dollars for their economies and American military for their police force. And a lot of the countries that we give foreign aid to (monetary or military or both) then berate us as Imperialists, Nation Builders, or whatever. So just leave. And stop giving them foreign aid, too. We have our own problems to solve right now, and we need those dollars and that manpower here at home. They need to fend for themselves for a bit.

Reminds me of the old Randy Newman tune "Political Science" (although I don't condone any sort of nuclear response!)
"No one likes us
I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around
Even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the big one and see what happens"

yes, this.

We've been the world's police force since WWII. Time to let someone else pick up the slack and foot the bill, or let north and south blow each other the hell up. Cydl's point about bankrupting us is a valid one.

Dropping the big one in this case would be total non involvement.

In the meantime, can we slap our media folk about a bit? I'm still baffled by the reporter the day after, filming in S. Korea, who said - "This still looks like a warzone." Hey, moron, it was just bombed yesterday - what do you expect it to look like, a seaside resort??

27 Nov 2010 05:37 #19 by Nmysys
LH:

What about all the American troops stationed there in South Korea? What about our commitment to South Korea as an ally?

Do we abandon them?

27 Nov 2010 06:57 #20 by LadyJazzer
I've lived long enough to still be afraid of you types that want to go start WWIII over every perceived indignity to the U.S. arising out of two OTHER countries rattling their sabers at each other. "Another nice day to start a war", eh? The two unnecessary wars that we're already in aren't enough for you?--You can't feel validated unless we start another one? How many innocent civilians have to die so that you can wave your flag?

You types really DO scare me.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds