The Partisan Mind

01 Dec 2010 09:04 #1 by Blazer Bob
The Partisan Mind was created by Blazer Bob
This is why I find some of these threads so entertaining.

"This role reversal is a case study in the awesome power of the partisan mindset. Up to a point, American politics reflects abiding philosophical divisions. But people who follow politics closely — whether voters, activists or pundits — are often partisans first and ideologues second. Instead of assessing every policy on the merits, we tend to reverse-engineer the arguments required to justify whatever our own side happens to be doing. Our ideological convictions may be real enough, but our deepest conviction is often that the other guys can't be trusted.

How potent is the psychology of partisanship? Potent enough to influence not only policy views, but our perception of broader realities as well."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/opini ... uthat.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Dec 2010 09:09 #2 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

neptunechimney wrote: This is why I find some of these threads so entertaining.

"This role reversal is a case study in the awesome power of the partisan mindset. Up to a point, American politics reflects abiding philosophical divisions. But people who follow politics closely — whether voters, activists or pundits — are often partisans first and ideologues second. Instead of assessing every policy on the merits, we tend to reverse-engineer the arguments required to justify whatever our own side happens to be doing. Our ideological convictions may be real enough, but our deepest conviction is often that the other guys can't be trusted.

How potent is the psychology of partisanship? Potent enough to influence not only policy views, but our perception of broader realities as well."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/opini ... uthat.html

The NY toilet roll. Nuff said :popcorn:

01 Dec 2010 09:20 #3 by pineinthegrass
Replied by pineinthegrass on topic The Partisan Mind
Interesting article.

01 Dec 2010 09:52 #4 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The Partisan Mind
I especially liked this sentence:

Is there anything good to be said about the partisan mindset? On an individual level, no. It corrupts the intellect and poisons the wells of human sympathy. Honor belongs to the people who resist partisanship’s pull, instead of rowing with it.

It's depressing how short-sighted many people are.

I disagree with this though:

But for the country as a whole, partisanship does have one modest virtue. It guarantees that even when there’s an elite consensus behind whatever the ruling party wants to do (whether it’s invading Iraq or passing Obamacare), there will always be a reasonably passionate opposition as well. Given how much authority is concentrated in Washington, especially in the executive branch, even a hypocritical and inconsistent opposition is better than no opposition at all.

It would be healthier and more efficient if, instead of hypocritical and inconsistent opposition, we had mutual respect and compromise for the greater good.

Thanks for posting the article Neptune! Good stuff!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Dec 2010 10:25 #5 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic The Partisan Mind

Science Chic wrote: I especially liked this sentence:

Is there anything good to be said about the partisan mindset? On an individual level, no. It corrupts the intellect and poisons the wells of human sympathy. Honor belongs to the people who resist partisanship’s pull, instead of rowing with it.

It's depressing how short-sighted many people are.

I disagree with this though:

But for the country as a whole, partisanship does have one modest virtue. It guarantees that even when there’s an elite consensus behind whatever the ruling party wants to do (whether it’s invading Iraq or passing Obamacare), there will always be a reasonably passionate opposition as well. Given how much authority is concentrated in Washington, especially in the executive branch, even a hypocritical and inconsistent opposition is better than no opposition at all.

It would be healthier and more efficient if, instead of hypocritical and inconsistent opposition, we had mutual respect and compromise for the greater good.

Thanks for posting the article Neptune! Good stuff!

s
You are welcome. That is the one thing that I also do not agree with. I believe it is based on a logical falicy. Right now I just can not wrap my brain around what exactly it is.

Want to make a side bet. I predict that unless posters can find a way to turn the OP into another food fight it will sink rapidly to the bottom.

01 Dec 2010 10:33 #6 by ScienceChic
I see it as being based on an assumption that we MUST fight vociferously with one another, even if we have the same end goals in mind, because to do otherwise would mean that we aren't sticking up for our "side" strongly enough, that we're weak and spineless somehow. It's like the assumption that all teenagers and parents have to fight/hate each other or that childbirth must be that absolute worst pain a woman can suffer - once these statements get repeated enough, they become dogma even though there are plenty of examples otherwise.

lol I wouldn't touch that bet with a 10 ft pole! But I'm sure there are plenty of silent readers who appreciate this thread anyway!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Dec 2010 10:37 #7 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic The Partisan Mind
It is a good article and gives me a target example. I agree that the second to last paragraph about "virtue of partisanship" doesn't make sense. I especially like these paragraphs:

Now that a Democrat is in the White House, the pendulum is swinging back. In 2006, Gallup asked the public whether the government posed an “immediate threat” to Americans. Only 21 percent of Republicans agreed, versus 57 percent of Democrats. In 2010, they asked again. This time, 21 percent of Democrats said yes, compared with 66 percent of Republicans.

In other words, millions of liberals can live with indefinite detention for accused terrorists and intimate body scans for everyone else, so long as a Democrat is overseeing them. And millions of conservatives find wartime security measures vastly more frightening when they’re pushed by Janet “Big Sis” Napolitano (as the Drudge Report calls her) rather than a Republican like Tom Ridge.

Everything is colored by the glasses you wear. I'm trying to take mine off.

01 Dec 2010 10:40 #8 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic The Partisan Mind
SC:

even if we have the same end goals in mind

I wonder where you get this assumption from, dear lady.

If that were the case, I know that I would protest less, but I don't see it that way at all. I see the other side as Hating America and wantonly destroying it.

Maybe you can enlighten me.

01 Dec 2010 11:32 #9 by ScienceChic
Nmysys, have you ever wondered why liberals are just as passionate as you about which direction the country is headed and the decisions that we make? It's not because liberals hate the country; on the contrary, we love it just as much and try to make it better - our ways just differ. If we truly hated America, we'd just pull a Johnny Depp. Instead of assuming that we are trying to destroy it, why not try to understand why we want to make the changes that we do so we can work better together. I know if I didn't stop and try to understand where you are coming from, and why, I'd think you hated America and were trying to destroy it to and that's not productive. America was founded on the principles of standing together, no matter our differences, because what matters in the end is that we preserve our rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I personally appreciate you for your differences to my worldview because to at the least be presented with your side makes me a more thoughtful person - you bring ideas that I wouldn't have considered, and I hope that I'd bring ideas that you hadn't considered and between all those ideas, we'll find the best way forward!

01 Dec 2010 11:48 #10 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic The Partisan Mind
Well said, Science Chic.

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds