The First Anniversary of Climategate: A Year in Review

01 Dec 2010 14:19 #1 by ScienceChic
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar ... ear-later/
One year later
— gavin @ 20 November 2010

I woke up on Tuesday, 17 Nov 2009 completely unaware of what was about to unfold. I tried to log in to RealClimate, but for some reason my login did not work. Neither did the admin login. I logged in to the back-end via ssh, only to be inexplicably logged out again. I did it again. No dice. I then called the hosting company and told them to take us offline until I could see what was going on. When I did get control back from the hacker (and hacker it was), there was a large uploaded file on our server, and a draft post ready to go announcing the theft of the CRU emails. And so it began.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/The-que ... egate.html
The question that skeptics don't want to ask about 'Climategate'
Thursday, 18 November, 2010

Has 'Climategate' changed our scientific understanding of global warming?

Has the science changed? Is there any change to the many independent lines of evidence for human-caused global warming? This question is never asked because of the answer:

The evidence for human caused global warming is as solid as ever.

http://climateprogress.org/2010/11/15/y ... imategate/
A stunning year in climate science reveals that human civilization is on the precipice
The first anniversary of 'Climategate', Part 1: The media blows the story of the century

November 15, 2010

http://www.desmogblog.com/2010-review-s ... ns-learned
2010 In Review: Scientists and Journalists Take Stock and Share Lessons Learned
26 November 10

http://climateprogress.org/2010/05/19/n ... l-warming/
U.S. National Academy of Sciences labels as “settled facts” that “the Earth system is warming and that much of this warming is very likely due to human activities”
New report confirms failure to act poses "significant risks"
May 19, 2010

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Dec 2010 14:40 #2 by ckm8
Here's the problem SC- scientists know you constantly have to test and review your data; admit your mistakes, correct them and move forward. The right posits a belief and then sticks to it come hell or high water.

01 Dec 2010 14:53 #3 by ScienceChic
ckm - that would make total sense if not for the fact that there are plenty of conservative scientists who aren't that way, who fully understand the consequences of AGW, and who support efforts to mitigate. It's time to stop making AGW a partisan issue because it's going to affect us all.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Dec 2010 14:54 #4 by daisypusher

Science Chic wrote: ckm - that would make total sense if not for the fact that there are plenty of conservative scientists who aren't that way, who fully understand the consequences of AGW, and who support efforts to mitigate. It's time to stop making AGW a partisan issue because it's going to affect us all.

:thumbsup:

01 Dec 2010 14:55 #5 by ckm8
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010 ... committee/

House G.O.P. Eliminating Global Warming Committee
By JENNIFER STEINHAUER

Members of the House of Representatives will not be pondering global warming on Speaker John A. Boehner’s watch.

01 Dec 2010 15:05 #6 by FredHayek
Interesting take on Climategate from the NYTimes. They woulnd't publish the private e-mails because they were hacked/stolen but they are willing to publish all the diplomatic cables Wikileaks helped steal.

The GOP shutting down the GWC? The voters have told them the economy is much more important than increasing energy costs on the poor and unemployed by subsidizing new energy technologies.

Ironically local global warming efforts were a pact between Xcel & state goverment to replace perfectly good coal plants with expensive new built natural gas facilities. And the voters were not permitted to vote on this increase in thier monthly energy bills.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Dec 2010 15:23 #7 by Residenttroll returns
I am still waiting for scientists to prove that if we cease the production of carbons...that they will save the world and that the earth will not keep heating up at a rate of 1/10th of degree every decade.

01 Dec 2010 15:26 #8 by Something the Dog Said

SS109 wrote: Interesting take on Climategate from the NYTimes. They woulnd't publish the private e-mails because they were hacked/stolen but they are willing to publish all the diplomatic cables Wikileaks helped steal.

The GOP shutting down the GWC? The voters have told them the economy is much more important than increasing energy costs on the poor and unemployed by subsidizing new energy technologies.

Ironically local global warming efforts were a pact between Xcel & state goverment to replace perfectly good coal plants with expensive new built natural gas facilities. And the voters were not permitted to vote on this increase in thier monthly energy bills.

??? when have the voters ever voted for increases or decreases in their monthly energy bills?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

01 Dec 2010 15:31 #9 by ckm8
I wish it weren't partisan SC. I'll never forgive Al Gore for that, but now it is. If you wish to garner Republican support you can't afford an open mind on this topic. The party line has been painted.

01 Dec 2010 15:54 #10 by outdoor338

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds