Julian Assange For Time's Man Of The Year?

08 Dec 2010 08:52 #1 by FredHayek
I like the pick. One man who has shaken both the US military & the international diplomatic corps, and now is threatening the Wall Street power brokers.
:pop
If not Julian, who would you pick for this year? The only other choice I could see would be the TEA Party collective, they have rebuilt a GOP that had been declared DOA after the 2008 elections.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Dec 2010 09:46 #2 by LadyJazzer
Yes... I voted for him... Whatever you think of him, his main crime is bucking the Authoritarianism of the power factions....

Glenn Greenwald Calls Julian Assange's Arrest "Pure Authoritarianism"
December 7, 2010

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested in London on an international warrant to face sex crime allegations in Sweden. Assange is expected to face a hasty extradition process to Sweden. We speak with Glenn Greenwald, constitutional attorney and blogger at Salon.com. Greenwald says: "Whatever you think of WikiLeaks, they have not been charged with a crime, let alone indicted or convicted. Yet look what has happened to them. They have been removed from Internet … their funds have been frozen … media figures and politicians have called for their assassination and to be labeled a terrorist organization. What is really going on here is a war over control of the Internet, and whether or not the Internet can actually serve its ultimate purpose—which is to allow citizens to band together and democratize the checks on the world’s most powerful factions."

http://www.alternet.org/world/149118/gl ... anism%22_/

08 Dec 2010 10:53 #3 by LadyJazzer

Since When Does Interpol Care About Sexual Assault?
By Laura Flanders

Julian Assange turned himself in Tuesday — he’s been arrested and is being held without bail in London ahead of a hearing on extradition to Sweden. The head of the “stateless” news-leak organization WikiLeaks is accused of sexual assault –and let’s be clear, he should face the charges. But since when is Interpol [the investigative arm of the International Criminal Court at The Hague] so vigilant about violence against women? If women’s security is suddenly Interpol’s priority — that’s big news!

Tell it to hundreds of women in US jails and immigration detention centers — who charge that they can’t get justice against accused rapists — or women in the US military (two of out three of whom allege they’ve experienced assault.) In Haiti hundreds of unprosecuted cases of rape in refugee camps could use some of Interpol’s attention.

So yes, if Assange is accused of assault, he should face charges. So should football players (professional and college), politicians, film directors, and everyday Joes.

But until some of those others start getting scooped up by Interpol and extradited, let’s not pretend that this is the dawning of a brave new era in sexual assault prosecution, shall we?

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/ar ... l_assault/

08 Dec 2010 12:23 #4 by Residenttroll returns

LadyJazzer wrote: Yes... I voted for him... Whatever you think of him, his main crime is bucking the Authoritarianism of the power factions....

So that's what liberals call sexual assault today - Bucking the Authoritarianism?

08 Dec 2010 12:27 #5 by daisypusher
What does Ken Buck have to do with it?

08 Dec 2010 13:09 #6 by FredHayek
LJ,
Think the sex charges are bogus or a CIA honeypot scenario? I think it was a honeypot.
But I do agree that the international manhunt for not wearing a condom sounds a little extreme.

Fight Club The Sequel? Looks like Assange supporters have taken down Mastercard's web presence because MC stopped funneling donations from cardholders to Wikileaks.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

08 Dec 2010 13:46 #7 by LadyJazzer
Yep... I think the Wikileaks "Hacktivists" are going to do a lot more before it's over.

08 Dec 2010 14:55 #8 by LadyJazzer
New attack already:

Hackers rushed to the defense of WikiLeaks on Wednesday, launching a new attack on Visa after shutting down MasterCard, Swedish prosecutors, a Swiss bank and others who have acted against the site and jailed founder Julian Assange.

Internet "hacktivists" operating under the label "Operation Payback" claimed in a Twitter message, "we are attacking [url=http://www.visa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.visa.com[/url] in an hour! Get your weapons ready and stay tuned," NBC News reported.

At 4 p.m. ET, the group tweeted: "TARGET: [url=http://WWW.VISA.COM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://WWW.VISA.COM[/url] :: FIRE FIRE FIRE!!! WEAPONS."

Visa.com became unavailable to many users Wednesday.

08 Dec 2010 16:39 #9 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mike Huckabee wrote: IF THE UNITED STATES WANTS TO KEEP ANYTHING SECRET THEY NEED TO PUT
IT WITH OBAMA'S COLLEGE PAPERS AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

:lol: rofllol :lol:

08 Dec 2010 16:41 #10 by Residenttroll returns

Teddy wrote:

Mike Huckabee wrote: IF THE UNITED STATES WANTS TO KEEP ANYTHING SECRET THEY NEED TO PUT
IT WITH OBAMA'S COLLEGE PAPERS AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

:lol: rofllol :lol:

rofllol rofllol rofllol rofllol rofllol

Yeah, how about a wikileaks on Obama's college papers! I would be impressed if Wikileaks could leak those documents.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds