The NEA and US Department of Education, Disgusting

08 Dec 2010 12:59 #11 by Residenttroll returns

Scruffy wrote:

Residenttroll wrote: Fat, dumb, indoctrination and gay...that's the goal of America's school industry.

For which you have no evidence or facts.

Obviously you didn't read the first post - the results are in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Dec 2010 13:02 #12 by Scruffy

Residenttroll wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

Residenttroll wrote: Fat, dumb, indoctrination and gay...that's the goal of America's school industry.

For which you have no evidence or facts.

Obviously you didn't read the first post - the results are in.

The facts are in that kids are fat, dumb and gay and that is the ultimate goal of American education? Obviously, you didn't read the first post, because nowhere does it say that kids are fat, dumb and gay, nor does is say that it is the goal of American education to make children fat, dumb and gay.

08 Dec 2010 13:51 #13 by RenegadeCJ
Vouchers. Institute them and our education level will skyrocket in a generation.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

08 Dec 2010 13:58 #14 by Grady
I would never criticize good teachers, I have teachers in my family, my mother was a teacher and I have friends who are teachers. Good teachers should be highly rewarded, but the unions won’t allow it. I think administration is top heavy and over paid. In some school districts you could put 10 teachers in the classroom for the cost of a vice superintendent.

Overall I think we are pretty lucky with Jeffco schools. My rant really is against the NEA and its local affiliates, and the US Department of Education which I believe is a useless bureaucracy.

5. Get rid of crappy teachers, and administrators.
Agreed. Can you identify them?

I am not an educator, but if I was a highly paid school administrator or school board member I sure as hell would figure out how to identify them. As students and parents we all knew some crappy teachers.

A while back, my Facebook high school and grammar school friends did a poll of teachers we all remembered, the teachers that back in school, we all feared because they were strict, tough and demanding, were the teachers that topped the list. They were the teachers most appreciated and fondly remembered. Those were the classes that you had to work at if you had any hope of passing the class.

08 Dec 2010 13:59 #15 by ckm8
Some interesting points from the study- successful countries recruit their teachers from the top percentages of graduates- meaning their teachers are the best and brightest. Also the study shows that 20% of the performance differences are attributed to the social background of the students. IMO this shows that we don't spend enough on the students. Don't get me wrong- I think we're spending plenty on our educational system, just in the wrong way. We're paying top administrators and college professors waaaay too much, while our front line teachers in Primary, Secondary and Community Colleges are underpaid. Top performers will obviously opt to higher paying jobs leaving only the highly motivated who are willing to sacrifice and those who can't get a job in the private sector. I am closely acquainted with teachers who have abandoned their chosen profession in order to earn more.

08 Dec 2010 14:05 #16 by Scruffy

Grady wrote: I would never criticize good teachers, I have teachers in my family, my mother was a teacher and I have friends who are teachers. Good teachers should be highly rewarded, but the unions won’t allow it. I think administration is top heavy and over paid. In some school districts you could put 10 teachers in the classroom for the cost of a vice superintendent.

Overall I think we are pretty lucky with Jeffco schools. My rant really is against the NEA and its local affiliates, and the US Department of Education which I believe is a useless bureaucracy.

5. Get rid of crappy teachers, and administrators.
Agreed. Can you identify them?

I am not an educator, but if I was a highly paid school administrator or school board member I sure as hell would figure out how to identify them. As students and parents we all knew some crappy teachers.

A while back, my Facebook high school and grammar school friends did a poll of teachers we all remembered, the teachers that back in school, we all feared because they were strict, tough and demanding, were the teachers that topped the list. They were the teachers most appreciated and fondly remembered. Those were the classes that you had to work at if you had any hope of passing the class.

Ha! I remember a teacher in High School that everyone feared. She was the English teacher and there was no way to get out of doing her work. She was strict and made fun of kids that didn't know the assignment or didn't do their homework. She ridiculed them in front of the rest of the class and people hated her. Did not help turn out better students, in fact, people would take retribution against her for her ridicule. I learned very little from her.

I do remember Professors in college that were humane and took an interest in their students. They did not strictly enforce rules and asked questions, encouraging students to pursue knowledge both in and out of the classroom. I learned the most from them.

08 Dec 2010 14:06 #17 by Ronbo

RenegadeCJ wrote: Vouchers. Institute them and our education level will skyrocket in a generation.

Bull! What you would end up with is a bunch of lousy private schools taking money from the tax payers and some good private schools that will charge a tuiton amount much greater than the voucher amounts also taking money from the tax payers.

08 Dec 2010 14:16 #18 by Blazer Bob
[quote="ScruffyA while back, my Facebook high school and grammar school friends did a poll of teachers we all remembered, the teachers that back in school, we all feared because they were strict, tough and demanding, were the teachers that topped the list. They were the teachers most appreciated and fondly remembered. Those were the classes that you had to work at if you had any hope of passing the class.[/quote]

Ha! I remember a teacher in High School that everyone feared. She was the English teacher and there was no way to get out of doing her work. She was strict and made fun of kids that didn't know the assignment or didn't do their homework. She ridiculed them in front of the rest of the class and people hated her. Did not help turn out better students, in fact, people would take retribution against her for her ridicule. I learned very little from her.

.[/quote]

I had a teacher like that loved to ridicule students. He had tenure so every year they put him in a different school. Your point is nonsense. Do you not know the difference between being tough and demanding and being a sadist?

08 Dec 2010 14:21 #19 by Scruffy

neptunechimney wrote: [quote="ScruffyA while back, my Facebook high school and grammar school friends did a poll of teachers we all remembered, the teachers that back in school, we all feared because they were strict, tough and demanding, were the teachers that topped the list. They were the teachers most appreciated and fondly remembered. Those were the classes that you had to work at if you had any hope of passing the class.

.[/quote]

I had a teacher like that loved to ridicule students. He had tenure so every year they put him in a different school. Your point is nonsense. Do you not know the difference between being tough and demanding and being a sadist?[/quote]

I was just telling a story where I had an opposite experience from Grady. Local parents thought the English teacher was the best thing, as all the students complained about and were afraid of her. Parents, and the administration, thought that was the best way to teach. While I was her student, I thought it was bullsh** and wanted to avoid her at all costs, even in the hallways. That's not a good learning environment.

What it comes down to is I think (from personal experience) that teachers who are not the authoritarians are the better teachers.

09 Dec 2010 09:03 #20 by Grady

that teachers who are not the authoritarians are the better teachers.

Not authoritaiian, but tough and demanding there is a difference.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds