Senate blocks bill to repeal 'don't ask, don't tell

09 Dec 2010 18:49 #1 by outdoor338
WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans blocked a major year-end push by Democrats to lift the military's ban on openly gay troops on Thursday, dealing a huge blow to gay rights groups' hopes for repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" any time soon. President Barack Obama instantly appealed to lawmakers to make another, last-ditch try before going home for the year.

The day's dramatic events left the fate of the issue in limbo, with lawmakers eager to adjourn and still facing numerous other contentious issues.

The Senate's 57-40 vote fell three short of the 60 needed to overcome procedural hurdles to lift the 17-year-old ban. Sen. Susan Collins of Maine was the lone Republican voting to advance the bill, and Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia was the only Democrat to vote against it.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/nat ... DCinchO7DU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Dec 2010 19:02 #2 by Nmysys
Darn it!!!!!!!!!

LOL

09 Dec 2010 19:11 #3 by FredHayek
Now it will open the way for Obama to repeal Clinton's executive order DADT?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Dec 2010 19:25 #4 by Blazer Bob
Pretty amazing and In 23 days everyones taxes go up. Even after the dems had an epiphany that higher taxes are bad for the economy. Too bad it took them so many decades to figure it out. Oh well, better late than never.

10 Dec 2010 00:03 #5 by lionshead2010
Well hopefully our leaders in Washington D.C. can get on with the more important matters facing the nation right now. Sadly, now the Judicial Branch will try to impose its will to "right the wrong" regardless of its impact on readiness. I think we should all turn to judges on matters of military readiness don't you?

You have to wonder why the Democrats, who are ALL ABOUT reaching across the aisle wouldn't spend more time to hear the GOP out. Senator Reid must be hearing the footsteps of a recess.

(Senator) Collins said she didn't understand why Reid wasn't doing more to accommodate GOP concerns.

"There was such a clear path for us to be able to get this done," she said on the Senate floor. "I'm perplexed and frustrated that this important bill will become victim of politics."

http://www.resistnet.com/forum/topic/sh ... hare_topic

Gay rights advocates were furious because the Senate vote failed largely because of a procedural disagreement.

Life is tough....wear a helmet. I think LJ says it best for a situation like this. "Deal with it". :biggrin:

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds