Daily Show On Republicans Blocking 9/11 Responders Relief

14 Dec 2010 10:13 #1 by Wayne Harrison
Jon Stewart has some questions about why Republicans would block a bill to help 9/11 responders who became ill from working at Ground Zero.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episod ... d_facebook

Link goes to the full video of is Dec. 13 show.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Dec 2010 10:22 #2 by JusSayin
You woke up this morning, saw what a crappy news day it was going to be for your Obamassiah, so you dug up this 'story'.

Sad.

14 Dec 2010 10:25 #3 by FredHayek
Why did Nancy Pelosi let this bill sit around for 4 years while she had a majority in Congress? Responders were dying before she got around to rolling it out in a lame duck session at the end of her term.

Despicable!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Dec 2010 10:57 #4 by Wayne Harrison

JusSayin wrote: You woke up this morning, saw what a crappy news day it was going to be for your Obamassiah, so you dug up this 'story'.

Nope. Woke up this morning, logged on to Facebook and saw a friend had posted it.

You do know the Daily Show is on Comedy Central, right?

14 Dec 2010 11:03 #5 by Pony Soldier
How big a windfall do they need?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40279935/ns ... alth_care/

NEW YORK — More than 10,000 workers exposed to the tons of toxic dust that blanketed ground zero after the World Trade Center fell have ended their bruising legal fight with New York City and joined a settlement worth at least $625 million, officials said Friday.
The deal will resolve an overwhelming majority of the lawsuits over the city's failure to provide protective equipment to the army of construction workers, police officers and firefighters who spent months clearing and sifting rubble after Sept. 11, 2001.
Among the thousands who sued, claiming that soot at the site got into their lungs and made them sick, more than 95 percent eligible for the settlement agreed to take the offer. Only 520 said no or failed to respond.
City officials and lawyers for the workers said they welcomed a resolution to a case that had pitted New York and a long list of demolition companies against the very men and women who helped lower Manhattan recover.
"This settlement is a fair and just resolution of these claims, protecting those who came to the aid of this City when we needed it most," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement.

14 Dec 2010 11:14 #6 by Wayne Harrison
Isn't that a separate group? Workers who cleared the Ground Zero site?

I thought the bill that was blocked is for the first responders to 9/11.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-12-09/poli ... M:POLITICS

14 Dec 2010 11:25 #7 by Wayne Harrison

SS109 wrote: Why did Nancy Pelosi let this bill sit around for 4 years while she had a majority in Congress? Responders were dying before she got around to rolling it out in a lame duck session at the end of her term.

Despicable!

Four years? First responders had been dying for much longer that that.

First Responders Blast Congress Over 9/11 Health Bill Defeat

"Somebody from Congress needs to step up and apologize. They better step up and apologize for their actions down there. Because its shameful to say the least," said Kenny Specht of the Firefighter Brotherhood Foundation.

"Republicans and Democrats should have voted like Americans! They say this is a New York issue. This is a national issue," said September 11th health care advocate John Feal.

One key sticking point is whether the health care bill would cover illegal immigrants who worked the pile or were sickened Downtown.

First responders say political gimmicks from both sides should not be tolerated.

http://www.ny1.com/content/special_repo ... ill-defeat

But the bill costs $7.4 billion. So under the "cut spending, smaller government" mantra, this bill should NEVER be passed, right?

14 Dec 2010 11:35 #8 by LadyJazzer
Yeah, I can see where it's all Pelosi's fault...

Ailing Ground Zero hero: Sen. John McCain said he 'can't help' on Zadroga bill before weaseling away

WASHINGTON - Tow truck driver T.J. Gilmartin, who hauled ruined FDNY vehicles away from Ground Zero and now suffers from breathing problems, headed to Washington this week to lobby for the $7.4 billion James Zadroga 9/11 health bill.

The 50-year-old Brooklyn native came down with a display of 29 badges of cops who've died from 9/11-related illnesses. With 30% of his lung capacity gone, he was huffing and puffing as he trekked across Capitol Hill in hopes of swaying a host of GOP senators, John McCain among them. It didn't go well. Here's his story:

"With most of the senators, it was good. The guys from Alabama [Sens. Jeff Sessions and Richard Shelby] - they were gentlemen.

"I wasn't stalking him [McCain] or anything, but then I saw him in a hallway going to an elevator near the rotunda. "I stepped in front of him, and I was very respectful. I told him who I was and I asked for his help on the Zadroga bill.

"He said 'Thank you for your service.'..."And 'I can't help you.' "Then, bang, he stepped around me and onto the elevator.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... ailin.html

Yeah, those first-responder guys were just evolutionary rejects... They should be left by the side of the road to die... (--if you subscribe to the [non-existent] ethics of JusSayin'...)

14 Dec 2010 11:47 #9 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
As usual jackoff Liebowitz is busy spinning his horses..t. Tries to make the point that military men and women in the middle east are first responders. But none of this money is intended to compensate them if they are injured. It's just for union members. And why should firemen and cops be treated as higher priority than our military? The vast majority are already some of the best compensated public servants in the country.

14 Dec 2010 12:03 #10 by FredHayek
Have to agree, these responders are some of the best compensated ever. Plus most choose to work without filter masks because they were uncomfortable. A little prevention beats millions spent on disability.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds