Are Right-Wingers Getting Paid to Dumb-Down Conversations?

15 Dec 2010 17:34 #1 by LadyJazzer

Are Right-Wing Libertarian Internet Trolls Getting Paid to Dumb Down Online Conversations?
There are daily attempts to control and influence content in the interests of the state and corporations: attempts in which money talks.

There’s a wider cyberwar being fought, of which you hear much less. And in most cases the landlords, with the help of a mercenary army, are winning. I’m not talking here about threats to net neutrality and the danger of a two-tier internet developing, though these are real. I’m talking about the daily attempts to control and influence content in the interests of the state and corporations: attempts in which money talks.

I first came across online astroturfing in 2002, when the investigators Andy Rowell and Jonathan Matthews looked into a series of comments made by two people calling themselves Mary Murphy and Andura Smetacek. They had launched ferocious attacks, across several internet forums, against a scientist whose research suggested that Mexican corn had been widely contaminated by GM pollen.

Rowell and Matthews found that one of the messages Mary Murphy had sent came from a domain owned by the Bivings Group, a PR company specializing in internet lobbying. An article on the Bivings website explained that “there are some campaigns where it would be undesirable or even disastrous to let the audience know that your organization is directly involved … Message boards, chat rooms, and listservs are a great way to anonymously monitor what is being said. Once you are plugged into this world, it is possible to make postings to these outlets that present your position as an uninvolved third party."

Reading comment threads on the Guardian’s sites and elsewhere on the web, two patterns jump out at me. The first is that discussions of issues in which there’s little money at stake tend to be a lot more civilized than debates about issues where companies stand to lose or gain billions: such as climate change, public health and corporate tax avoidance. These are often characterized by amazing levels of abuse and disruption.

more......

http://www.alternet.org/media/149197/ar ... ersations/

Wow... You don't suppose..... Nah.... rofllol :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Dec 2010 23:01 #2 by Residenttroll returns
Left wingers are getting paid to vote for dumb down politicos.

15 Dec 2010 23:11 #3 by ckm8
I'm sure most trolls are happy to do it for free.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds