Commute times in Park County one of highest in US.

15 Dec 2010 22:14 #1 by CinnamonGirl
This was interesting.

Mean travel time to work in minutes (workers 16 years and over) 40.7 minutes.
http://www.factfinder.census.gov/servle ... _industry=

This is one of the highest in the US according to this article.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-1 ... -show.html

Other mainland U.S. counties with average one-way commutes of more than 40 minutes include Pike County, Pennsylvania; Craig County, Virginia; Bronx County, New York; Elbert County, Colorado; Park County, Colorado; Charles County, Maryland; and Catahoula Parish, Louisiana.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Dec 2010 23:00 #2 by Residenttroll returns
I will take the Bailey to Denver commute over the NYC and SF commute anyday....I've done all three of them.

16 Dec 2010 07:18 #3 by Maineiac
Luckily, Bailey to Boulder doesn't have to happen every day... at least it's pretty!

16 Dec 2010 07:33 #4 by FredHayek
Most times it is worth the drive, but winter does suck, going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Dec 2010 07:49 #5 by V_A
interesting, many people I work with in LA have 1.5hr commutes each way. Nasty

I bet it will be another 10 years before Park County shows up in Bloomberg again

16 Dec 2010 07:53 #6 by pinedust
In the 80s, my commute from Aurora to downtown Denver was about an hour. It took longer then, to go 14 miles ,than it does now for me to travel 40. I'll take my 40 mile commute, thank you.

16 Dec 2010 08:51 #7 by Nmysys
I can only see this as being noteworthy as a direct result of the construction projects in the canyon, otherwise it doesn't compare at all to So. Cal, Dal-Ft.Worth, Chicago, etc.

At least, it is one of the prettiest commutes in the country, even in the dark of Daylight Savings Time, and if they could figure out how to make the lines a little more visible for safety, it would be the most relaxing transition from work to family life waiting at home.

16 Dec 2010 09:15 #8 by ComputerBreath
It doesn't only apply to people in North Park County traveling to the metro area...there a lot of people living in Park County south of Kenosha Pass that travel to Chaffee County or Summit County to work. And from Fairplay to Breckenridge is a 40 minute drive.

I've even heard of people from the Fairplay area traveling to Vail to work!

16 Dec 2010 09:24 #9 by Photo-fish
I once had to comute to Thornton from Bailey. Miserable drive. I was lucky to get laid off right after we put all our savings into a house purchase (sarcasm). I find my new comute to Evergreen to be much more peaceful even with the construction.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

16 Dec 2010 11:50 #10 by BearMtnHIB
This explains why people who live in Bailey drive about 85 miles an hour down through turkey creek canyon - even when the roads are icy and snowpacked.

They really live too far away to commute - but they will make it work with speed!

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds