A New Korean War Would Be Devastating, but It Could Happen

16 Dec 2010 07:05 #1 by outdoor338
There would be no winner if war breaks out on the Korean Peninsula.

But more than 57 years after the armistice suspended open hostilities between the U.S.-allied Republic of Korea in the south and the Chinese-backed Democratic People's Republic in the north, their border remains trip-wire tense. And both sides are braced for a return to conflict, however unlikely, that would kill millions of people and resonate economically and politically across the globe.

In the South Korean capital of Seoul today, residents participated in a 20-minute air attack drill by donning gas masks and rushing into underground shelters. It was the biggest evacuation exercise in decades and one treated with an unusual seriousness in the wake of last month's artillery clash.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/15/a-new ... ld-happen/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Dec 2010 07:32 #2 by FredHayek
Totally possible, especially if the ruling family feels up against the wall and thinks their only chance is a quick attack on Seoul, only miles away from the DMZ.

If I was the US, I would be offering money and amnesties to get North Korea to reunify with the ROK. I would also include China & South Korea in these negotiations.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Dec 2010 07:36 #3 by Nmysys
I served there shortly after the war ended, ran a survey team that surveyed the DMZ to convert the mapping over from the then Japanese Grid System to the UTMG system used in the western world. I also went back and lived there for an additional almost 3 1/2 years. As a result, I feel that I know S. Korea extremely well, especially for an American.

The fear of the war breaking our again has been there all along, even through all the efforts of attempts to bring the two Koreas back together. If war broke out So. Korea would be overrun within minutes. We have many thousands of troops there, and have for all this time. S. Korea has definitely come out of the dark ages, as it was when I first was stationed there, and joined in with the world, becoming heavily involved in trade and commerce. It is now modern, looking like any other country in the world except for the signs in Korean, most are also in English. Yet, it is a very small country. Unfortunately N. Korea though extremely poor in comparison, is run by a madman, and there is absolutely no way of knowing what he will do next.

Tomorrow evening I am attending a get together which includes a traditional Korean Barbecue Dinner ( Bool Go Gi) that will feature two Korean Experts discussing the concerns about possible war on the Korean Peninsula. I will PM the details to you Outdoor.

16 Dec 2010 08:09 #4 by Wayne Harrison

SS109 wrote: If I was the US, I would be offering money and amnesties to get North Korea to reunify with the ROK. I would also include China & South Korea in these negotiations.

If you are trying to get North Korea to reunify with South Korea I would HOPE you'd include South Korea in the negotiations.

Russia has a big stake in North Korea as well.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds