federal spending

18 Dec 2010 12:40 #1 by Blazer Bob
federal spending was created by Blazer Bob
Time will tell. I know they will talk the talk, but do they have the guts to inflict the necessary pain. I think many more incumbants need to loose in '12 before they take more then baby steps.

"Republicans had better be just as serious about cutting spending as they were in stopping Democrats from increasing taxes. Prior to the death of the omnibus bill, taxpayers received a reprieve from a massive tax hike scheduled for the first of the year. Unfortunately, the tax bill contained additional spending and no spending cuts, which will mean even more debt if Republicans don’t get their act together next year.

For far too long, Republicans have fixated on tax cuts without lifting a finger to get the spending side of the ledger under control."

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/omnibusted/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Dec 2010 10:04 #2 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic federal spending
One thing I would favor is legalizing drugs. Billions saved in enforcement costs, billions raised in new taxes. My only caveat is the all the funds go to zero our annual debt and paying down the debt.

" Portugal. In 2001, the Portuguese enacted a law that decriminalised all drugs. The evidence so far shows no explosion of addiction, nor has Lisbon turned into a cesspit awash with drug traffickers, as some predicted. “Judged by virtually every available metric,” says Glenn Greenwald of the Cato Institute, a libertarian US think tank, “the Portuguese decriminalisation framework has been a resounding success.” In the first five years of the new policy, illegal drug use among teenagers declined, as did deaths caused by drug use. Portugal now has among the lowest rates of drug use in the EU. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/82075 ... drugs.html

19 Dec 2010 10:17 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic federal spending
(Kidding) Of course illegal drug use dropped, since illegal drugs are not considered illegal. I have never had issues with drug sellers or drug related crime visiting Amsterdam where soft drugs are legal.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds