Morgan freeman solves the race problem.

15 May 2010 19:08 #1 by The Viking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrEx ... re=related

He is now one of my favorite actors! Finally someone in Hollywood gets it! Good for him! Now if only the people who keep screaming racism and pointing out race for everything would open there eyes and realize that they are the problem and they are the ones keeping racism alive, then we might acually change the way race is perceived by some in America. And we can realize that we are all Americans, not Black Americans, White Americans, Hispanic Americans, etc.... And there should not be special months and holidays and TV stations, and groups, and scholarships and affirmative action, and many other things for people just becuse the color of their skin is different. It is what is keeping this country divided and racism alive!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 May 2010 17:41 #2 by LopingAlong
I've been saying this very thing for years! What a great man he is.

16 May 2010 17:48 #3 by The Viking

LopingAlong wrote: I've been saying this very thing for years! What a great man he is.

I agree. And this includes the new Arizona law. We need to get rid of the work racism when talking about it. It is a federal law that they are enforcing, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with race.

16 May 2010 19:34 #4 by LopingAlong
You're right! It's not about race. But the fact is, the AZ law will and does promote profiling. I assure you that I won't get pulled over (unless they think I'm an Amazon or something...) but in order for the cops or Border patrol to pull someone over to ask for their papers, it will be b/c the person does not 'look' Caucasion. You know?

17 May 2010 04:26 #5 by Rockdoc

LopingAlong wrote: You're right! It's not about race. But the fact is, the AZ law will and does promote profiling. I assure you that I won't get pulled over (unless they think I'm an Amazon or something...) but in order for the cops or Border patrol to pull someone over to ask for their papers, it will be b/c the person does not 'look' Caucasion. You know?

:) No doubt about it. The identifier for suspicion will be "of spanish descent". It's a direct line to illegal boarder crossing. Now if the borders involved other countries as in Europe, the chief identifier would not be so narrow. It is what it is, no matter what triggers an officer's suspicion. Please note that these games are played at every security checkpoint at airports around the world. Suspicion falls on you if you travel to a particular country (I've been "randomly" singled out almost every time). It got to the point I would just laugh, but it was a royal pain. Why? because I was traveling to Saudi Arabia... this during the zenith of 9/11 backlash. The same held true for anyone of Arabic descent. For them it was worse than me. I only had to answer why I was going there, what I did for a living, etc. They were questioned intensively, sometimes for half a day, some detained for more than a day. Some refused entry into the country. I've the first hand accounts of this from my Arabic friend on their way to conferences in the US. The nervousness has abated. Government agreements are in place to make passage in and out of countries easier. This took place with all the necessary documents in hand.

Cultural and or race profiling will always be there because it is an easy handle in many cases. The color of your skin, slant of your eyes, physical build are all giveaways. In the military I experienced it during basic training because I was German and it was obvious that one of my instructors harbored special feelings for my culture. You can hear it, feel it in so many different ways. Was that right? No. Did it get to me? A little.

I expect Mexicans will "feel" the heat much like I did. There will always be some officials who excel at being jerks. It's all part of the process of healing. Some (officials) learn to forget the culture or race thing and concentrate on the task demanded of them. Others will not. They will be the ones who will keep wounds raw and painful. Eventually, attention to this immigration matter no longer will be so riveting. Attitudes change on both sides and perhaps there will be more respect all around. The future unfortunately does not insulate those caught up in the present. They will suffer, decry the injustice, and learn to endure the failures of others (boarder patrol officers, etc). Their plight will be magnified in press and on political stages to vilify the process. Mexicans will learn to embrace and fight for new opportunities or take flight. History records many such society life cycles. Too bad humans have a propensity to forget painful moments and that is why history repeats itself.

17 May 2010 08:32 #6 by Robynabc
I won't get into the AZ thing but until we and the media stop breaking everything up into race then it will be more difficult to stop seeing each others differences. We don't have to fight for races and cultures, if we just stop, I believe that is what will make the difference. My kids, who did not grow up in the 70's, do not see race the way our generation does. They are living without all the memories of the 60's and 70's. I believe once we (baby boomers) are gone they will see a different way. Maybe I am wrong but interesting topic.

He is right African American History is just our history. And by doing it this way we are calling attention to a separation. It served a purpose at one time but has outlived it's usefulness and time to move on.

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle.
But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best."
. Marilyn Monroe

17 May 2010 09:48 #7 by The Viking

Robynabc wrote: I won't get into the AZ thing but until we and the media stop breaking everything up into race then it will be more difficult to stop seeing each others differences. We don't have to fight for races and cultures, if we just stop, I believe that is what will make the difference. My kids, who did not grow up in the 70's, do not see race the way our generation does. They are living without all the memories of the 60's and 70's. I believe once we (baby boomers) are gone they will see a different way. Maybe I am wrong but interesting topic.

He is right African American History is just our history. And by doing it this way we are calling attention to a separation. It served a purpose at one time but has outlived it's usefulness and time to move on.

Very well put Robyn! :yeahthat: :thumbsup:

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds