Here's an example of the trade problem...

19 Dec 2010 17:27 #1 by Residenttroll returns
The country's largest manufacturer of sleeping bags says new competition from Bangladesh could force it out of business if the U.S. does not level the playing field.
Exxel Outdoors Inc., which employs nearly 70 workers in its Alabama factory and makes about 2 million sleeping bags per year, has been pressing the Obama administration to lift an exemption that lets Bangladesh import sleeping bags into the country without paying a 9 percent tariff.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12 ... z18bhepyhN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Dec 2010 19:54 #2 by FredHayek
So you would endorse a 9% increase in sleeping bag prices to the consumer to save a company that can't compete with a 3rd world country?

I would prefer my businesses to go into industries they can compete in, face it, some countries are just better at making certain goods. Maybe Excel outdoors needs to develop a better sleeping bag that people are willing to pay 10% more for?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

19 Dec 2010 20:11 #3 by Residenttroll returns

SS109 wrote: So you would endorse a 9% increase in sleeping bag prices to the consumer to save a company that can't compete with a 3rd world country?

I would prefer my businesses to go into industries they can compete in, face it, some countries are just better at making certain goods. Maybe Excel outdoors needs to develop a better sleeping bag that people are willing to pay 10% more for?

No, actually I am for us importing cheap illegal labor from Mexico - that would give us competitive foothold. Pay these illegal workers no benefits, all cash, and don't report any earnings to the U.S. government.

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds