Napolitano Scolds Reporter for Airing Complaints

23 Dec 2010 11:48 #1 by Nmysys
Napolitano Scolds Reporter for Airing Complaints of Dead Border Agent's Family

Published December 23, 2010

| FoxNews.com

AP

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, leaving the funeral of a murdered Border Patrol agent Wednesday, scolded a reporter for asking her to address the victim's family's concerns that not enough is being done to secure the southern border.

The family of agent Brian Terry had complained that Napolitano had offered them "empty words" when she called to express her condolences. Terry's father, Kent Terry, in an interview with ABC affiliate KGUN, said he told Napolitano to "wake your man up in the White House," to which she replied that he's done more in two years than any president.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12/23/napolitano-scolds-reporter-airing-complaints-dead-border-agents-family/#ixzz18xi8AUFg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Dec 2010 12:04 #2 by MamaRama
I'm sure that once the FAMILY heard that statement they just felt WARM AND FUZZY!!! Time for her to go too!!! :faint:

23 Dec 2010 12:16 #3 by Scruffy
Perhaps it was not the best time to be asking questions - right as she was leaving the funeral?

23 Dec 2010 12:17 #4 by Nmysys
Perhaps it wasn't a good time as you stated, but what about the words from the family??? Can you defend her still?

23 Dec 2010 12:18 #5 by Scruffy
Not defending her. Just asking a question based on skimming the article.

23 Dec 2010 12:21 #6 by Scruffy
From the article, it appears that it was not the most appropriate time to be questioning her. She has pledged to find the killers, and understands the frustrations of the family.

Napolitano attended the Detroit funeral Wednesday where she vowed "swift justice" for Terry's killers. But asked about the family's concerns outside the service, Napolitano said "now is not the time to talk about all that has been done."

She said more agents and technology are on the border than ever before, but told the KGUN reporter it's time to remember the fallen agent and not start picking fights.

"Listen, I don't know who you spoke with in the family," Napolitano said.

After being told the concerns came from his father, mother and stepmother, she continued: "Listen, we are here today, the commissioner is here today, the chief of the Border Patrol is here today and we are here and his comrades are here with the family, who said other things to me by the way, so I really don't think it appropriate for the media to try to pick this as a fight," she said. "This is a moment to remember a fallen agent."

Moments earlier, Napolitano had delivered remarks for Terry's service. She pledged to punish those responsible.

"We resolve, I resolve, to pursue swift justice for those responsible for his death, and we resolve, I resolve, to do everything in our power to protect those who put their lives on the line every day for our nation's safety and security," she said, according to MyFoxDetroit.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12 ... z18xqTt6TX

23 Dec 2010 13:49 #7 by Nmysys
Come on Scruffy:

This is the part I was referring to, the words from the family.

The family of agent Brian Terry had complained that Napolitano had offered them "empty words" when she called to express her condolences. Terry's father, Kent Terry, in an interview with ABC affiliate KGUN, said he told Napolitano to "wake your man up in the White House," to which she replied that he's done more in two years than any president.

23 Dec 2010 14:06 #8 by Whatevergreen
That was a private call she made to "express her condolences". Since one does not know what was said to the family in private that they would call "empty words", how can you judge them. I feel sorry for the family, but when you are in law enforcement, there is a chance that you may be killed. I am sure the family realized that. I have had family die and some of the condolences that I recieved at the time felt hollow as well. We can only imagine how the family feels. Those feelings may change over time.

24 Dec 2010 13:09 #9 by FredHayek
Shouldn't Janet have realized it was Festivus and time for the airing of grievances?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds