Ivory Coast's Gbagbo faces threat from neighbors

26 Dec 2010 09:57 #1 by Nmysys
Formerly called Cote D'Ivoire, named when it was colonized by the French. On my last trip to Africa, I was in Abidjan when the civil war broke out in 2002, so I have somewhat of an interest in this story and have been watching what has been going on there.

Ivory Coast's Gbagbo faces threat from neighbors

Published December 26, 2010

| Associated Press

AP

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast – West African leaders are giving the man who refuses to leave Ivory Coast's presidency a final chance to hand over power and are threatening to remove him by force if needed, though doubts exist about whether the operation could be carried out.

Meanwhile, the U.N. refugee agency said at least 14,000 people have fled the violence and political chaos in Ivory Coast, some walking for up to four days with little food to reach neighboring Liberia. At least one child drowned while trying to cross a river.

The U.N. has said at least 173 people have died in violence over the disputed presidential runoff election held nearly one month ago. The toll is believed to be much higher, though, as the U.N. mission has been blocked from investigating other reports including an allegation of a mass grave.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12/26/wafricans-threaten-force-ivory-coast-k-flee/#ixzz19EmjbD1r

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Dec 2010 14:27 #2 by Nmysys
Where is the outrage from the left about this? Doesn't anyone care about what is going on in Africa?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds