How to Prevent Bullying

03 Jan 2011 14:26 #1 by outdoor338
Very informative, had many bullies in some of the schools I attended, anyone else have to deal with them?

What is characterized as Bullying?

George Manoli: We are looking at one person who intimidates another, so he has a certain level of control or domination. We are talking about something that is repetitive, something where I come out of there having a sense of empowerment or control, and the other person comes out of there feeling yucky, loser.

http://www.parentdish.com/videos-partne ... 170696-250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jan 2011 15:26 #2 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic How to Prevent Bullying
I had a few in my time, at school, in the neighborhood and in the workplace.

03 Jan 2011 15:35 #3 by outdoor338
Replied by outdoor338 on topic How to Prevent Bullying
I never encountered any of them until 4th grade in Chicago. We moved from another state, and they went after the new kid (me). I got payback several years later and big time, when I played high school football, I was a 225 pound 5'11" fullback, I had the joy of letting them know "I did not forget" what they did to me and others in our class when I hit them on the field.

03 Jan 2011 15:41 #4 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic How to Prevent Bullying
2nd grade: Jonathan a 3rd grader, every time I had a cupcake in my lunch he made me give it to him. At some point, after explaining to my mom why I hadn’t eaten my cupcake, my parents encouraged me to stand up and defend myself. Which I did, the next time Jonathan demanded my cupcake . I punched him in the nose. He never again tried to take my cupcake.
That carried over, because even though I was small skinny kid all through high school I don’t ever remember being bullied.

03 Jan 2011 16:28 - 03 Jan 2011 17:10 #5 by Travelingirl
Twice in my life. Back in middle school there was a girl that just hated me. She and her friends would corner me in the girls bathroom and even had a teacher encourage it. (He encouraged it because he didn't care for my dad, a pastor of a local church.) Just last year she wanted to "friend" me on FB which I did so that she knew I didn't hold any grudges. I think we'd be pretty good friends now if we lived near each other.

Second time was when I was about 16 and was bullied by a big, huge, grumpy, mean manager. I finally had enough and remember bursting into tears, ripping off my apron and walking out on him in the middle of the busiest time of the day. Later, my dad went back and got my final paycheck.

I hope some of the anti-bullying campaigns that the schools promote is preventing much of the bullying today. There will always be bullies, whether at school or in the workplace.

03 Jan 2011 16:48 #6 by outdoor338
The Andy Griffith Show (S3E14) - One Punch Opie(1/3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX53h-2h ... re=related

03 Jan 2011 17:21 #7 by Travelingirl
What a funny video! Where was Barney when I needed him???

The girl that did the bullying pulled me off my bicycle one day and started throwing punches (they way middle school girls do...hahaha). I was so afraid I'd be in big trouble for fighting, but my dad was really proud of me!!

03 Jan 2011 17:24 - 04 Jan 2011 16:04 #8 by rldbailey
Replied by rldbailey on topic How to Prevent Bullying
I have been on the receiving end of bullying this past year or so by adults in our community. It's also my understanding, based on what others have told me, they too have been on the receiving end of these individual's bullying as well. These are the self professed pillars of our community!!

In order to prevent bullying in our schools, work place, community and society, you must first look to the parents/adults to set the example! Worse yet, there are people in our community that don't care and align themselves with these type of people and join in, mostly because it's serves their own agenda. Bullying shows it's forms in many ways, such as spreading malicious gossip, issuing ultimatums to others regarding their friendship with you, trash talking about you behind your back, intimidation and attempts to ostracize you in the community.

All I will say is this, when you're listening, believing and/or participating in this type of vile behavior, be aware that the very same person that you've aligned yourself with is doing the same thing about you when your back is turned, which is what cowardly bullies do. So don't kid yourselves that this type of behavior only happens with kids in and out of the schools. It turns my stomach when I see the levels to which some people's lies and hypocrisy has risen.

Self Moderation!

03 Jan 2011 18:38 #9 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic How to Prevent Bullying
At 6 feet in height I was the smallest of my family (father was 6'3", brothers were 6'3" and 6'4"). So if you were macho the greatest thing that you could do was to whip one of my family. Guess who was elected as the victim.
After many beatings out on a country road and being rolled around in the barrow ditch, I decided that I might be able to do something about it, so I joined the local boxing club. I found out that I enjoyed boxing and went after it with a passion.
After a few more impromtu scraps out on the country road all of the challenges suddenly stopped. I do not know what unlucky chump took my place but it was quite a relief to be able to defend my space.

Regards,
Major Bean

04 Jan 2011 07:55 #10 by outdoor338
Thanks for sharing TG and MB...

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds