Russia: Obama Signed Away Missile Defenses

05 Jan 2011 16:58 #1 by outdoor338
Russia’s legislature says the New START nuclear arms treaty ratified last month by the U.S. Senate restricts the U.S. from building and operating missile defenses against nuclear attacks. President Obama says the opposite: that the treaty “places no limitations on the development or deployment of our missile defense programs.”

There may never have been such a huge dispute on such a fundamental
aspect of a high profile treaty between two major world powers. As reported by the Voice of Russia on Monday, Russia’s Duma, the lower house of parliament, “plans to confirm the link between the reduction of the strategic offensive arms and the restriction of antimissile defense systems’ deployment in the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START),” according to the lawmaking body’s foreign policy chief.

Read more: Russia: Obama Signed Away Missile Defenses
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Russia ... ode=B694-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jan 2011 18:06 #2 by navycpo7
After doing some research and alittle reading on this, I can only see where it deals with nuclear warheads and delivery vehicles. Not defensive instruments. Unless I do not understand it right, we can still do all the defensive missiles we want.

05 Jan 2011 19:04 #3 by archer

navycpo7 wrote: After doing some research and alittle reading on this, I can only see where it deals with nuclear warheads and delivery vehicles. Not defensive instruments. Unless I do not understand it right, we can still do all the defensive missiles we want.

That's the way it reads to me, and apparently to our government, I seriously doubt I would take the interpretation of the Russian legislature over our own diplomats. They do like to rattle the sabre over there.

05 Jan 2011 20:06 #4 by FredHayek
Great treaty, the sides can't agree on what the terms actually dictate!

Side note: I don't think missile defense is that effective anyway so you aren't giving up much.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds