Mark Twain Books

06 Jan 2011 11:43 #11 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Mark Twain Books

SS109 wrote: Will Blazing Saddles be voice edited to now say slave too?

yes unless it gets turned into a rap video

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jan 2011 12:13 #12 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Mark Twain Books
Its never OK to change a writers original words to make it more palatable to the masses. It's a part of our history, what next, sanitizing history books so the kids won't be upset by our mistakes? How then will future generation know not to make the same ones?

06 Jan 2011 15:45 #13 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Mark Twain Books
Some instances of changing the "n" words to "slave" don't even make sense in the book, when a "n" being referenced was not a slave.

I have some "I read banned books" pins if anyone is interested. Not really. Only have one - and I wear that.

06 Jan 2011 17:56 #14 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Mark Twain Books

SS109 wrote: It does seem wrong to change an author's words without his consent. But considering this great book is very high on the school banned list because of the word "nigger", is it better to let the kids read a sanitized book?

The power of words?

Realistically, no, it is not better to let them read a sanitized version. The reason I say this is that the book is a criticism of the segregation that was occurring at that time and the language used in the book is central to that criticism. We might not always be proud of our history, but like it or not, it is our history and the posterity of the nation should not be sheltered from any aspect of our history, good or bad.

07 Jan 2011 07:47 #15 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Mark Twain Books
The book is not copyrighted any longer.

07 Jan 2011 07:55 #16 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Mark Twain Books

Satchmo wrote: The book is not copyrighted any longer.

:lol: That may be the real reason for the censorship. If you create a new edition with different words, you could copyright it again!

But is it any different than using different words when you put a movie on commercial television?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

07 Jan 2011 09:15 #17 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Mark Twain Books
Newspeak is closely based on English but has a greatly reduced and simplified vocabulary and grammar. This suits the totalitarian regime of the Party, whose aim is to make any alternative thinking—"thoughtcrime", or "crimethink

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds