Bad Contractors...echem, I mean clients.

09 Jan 2011 06:53 #1 by The Boss
As most of us in the service industry know, contractors have a generic bad reputation, only to be outdone by the general reputation of the clients we serve...especially in this new economy.

I am writing this topic to ask if any other local service providers would like to participate in the following.

Recently, I completed a job where it seems as if the client may not pay the last payment. The job is complete and done right with no complaints, but I have come to find out from other contractors that have worked for this individual that he has screwed other people out of compensation. This type of activity is becoming more common is has always been more common in Park vs. other places I have worked (Park also has some of the most strict building regs too, with massive expense to the consumer as a result). In fact the first time in my career that I was not paid due to a scumbag client was here...after millions of dollars of happy clients.

So in response, rather than hearing this through the grapevine after the fact, I would like to make sure that I and other good contractors hear about it before the issue comes up personally.

So I propose the opposite of Angie's List. A local list rating consumers for the contractor's benefit. That way we can know who is not worth working for, who has been unreasonable and who has not traded fair. I will call it the 285 list.

I am not talking about trash talking individuals. I want this to work and was cannot be libel or slanderous. But anything that is said, even if hurtfull, as long as it is true it is not illegal from my understanding.

So if I put the header. The following is a list of individuals that if the contractor who worked for them had a choice, they would not have worked for them and suggest that other service providers do not. You may add detail beyond the person's name or address.

My understanding is that this would be against this forum's rules, but what do people think about posting this elsewhere? My sense is your answer will be yes, if you have been screwed by a client lately.

And for those of you that are the consumers being rated where this feels like it makes no sense. A client that does not pay is far worse and far more common than the plumber that shows up a day late.

Any thoughts about these deadbeat clients and how to keep them honest. Perhaps like registering contractors with the counties, we could register qualified consumers too? Make them get permits to purchase after they show they are qualified to buy the job (like having enough money, references and experience?) They already pay an additional 10-20% due to the building regs on the contractor in final project price, what's a little more to protect the contractor too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jan 2011 07:17 #2 by The Boss
To add, you cannot call the police or any authority when cleints do not pay. You need to pony up and sue, well first you put a lien on their house and in CO, you must forclose within 90 days. So a contractor that is doing things right by a client that did not pay $100 in a bill, can actually end up owning that house and quick. I HOPE YOU DEADBEAT CLIENTS HEARD THAT.

I would rather be able to call the sheriff vs. take away someone's home, but that is the tool that we are left with.

Communicate clearly, have a contract and pay your bills on time or you may loose your home.

09 Jan 2011 08:30 #3 by LOL
I don't think it is as easy as you make it sound to do a quick foreclosure for $100. As long as the homeowner is current with the loan to the first lien holder, and property taxes, all you can do is wait till they sell. But I am not a lawyer, so lets hear from someone who knows.

You should have the ability to ding someones credit report that does not pay up. Then as a business, you can run a credit check before you do a job can't you? This would not help you, only future contractors.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

09 Jan 2011 11:27 #4 by V_A
Sorry to hear about dead beat clients.

When I hire a contractor for projects over $20K, I have found that 95% of them are willing to work without a contract. For anything over $20K I always have a contract, thus I put a basic contract in place that serves both parties. If you don't have a contract with clients, I would suggest working with a lawyer to daft a contract that protects both parties.

Then if they don't pay, you have additional recourse beyond putting a lien on their home.

09 Jan 2011 12:32 #5 by saabmann111
Actually if you file lien for non payment it will show up on credit report. It will drop there score almost 100 points.. There are sites and software you can buy to run a credit report. You will have to disclose the fact that you're doing it. I would also alter your contract to include a statement that if final payment isn't made you will be filling a judgement for non payment. Customers need to be brought back to reality. I'm sick of the phrase the customer is always right

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds