Be an Astronaut at times like these

14 Jan 2011 11:05 #1 by ScienceChic
I highly encourage you to read the entire story - there's more. All too often, we forget the human element...and to manifest compassion.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48033
Hey folks, Harry here... After the recent tragedy in Arizona, the following media reaction, the back & forth... I have been a bit down regarding mankind in general. I don't know. Civility has always had me as a fan. My thoughts in the aftermath seemed a little dark for me. I hated that. So I decided to watch STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, Robert Wise's Director's cut. I just, I needed something hopeful about mankind. Generally, that takes me to Roddenberry. And the most Roddenberry of the Trek films was Robert Wise's. Watching that movie, the decisions that Kirk makes, the observations of Spock and the concerns of McCoy... they're perfect. It isn't an action film, it's an unknown situation and they don't rush to judgement, they don't fire phasers, mainly because they're f*!^*d up with the Warp Engines, so they discharge a photon torpedo to hit that asteroid in that Warp induced Wormhole... but the point is, they never act brashly.

Right now, more than ever we as a people have a problem, we're not necessarily built to process instant half-truths and opinions at the rate they're being sent at us. This problem was building before we had the internet, but with it... it amplified. Instead of thinking with empathy... relating to the tragedy, we want to blame, get angry, go nuts. Blame Palin. Blame Obama. Blame Don't Ask Don't Tell. Tonight, I read a story about the shooter's parents. The mother has been bedridden with grief and they are paralyzed with the horror of this. And instead of hating them, I felt compassion. What if my kid became a publicly decried monster. If anything, that's the key thought we should all be having. What would be going through your head if someone you loved suddenly became the poster boy for all sides to scream about.

I'm tired of living in times where we HATE those with opposing views from our own.

We have so far to go as a people. We can be so much better than what we are being. I know, I'm bully pulpit-ing on a site that should probably not even discuss the situation. But well, this is where my mind went when I saw the following video.

NASA holds a lot of our geek ideals. They think, long term. 1000 years from now. Somebody has to. The fact is, we're diving through our resources, we're getting angrier as a society - and I know that in my lifetime... this won't change. But tonight, as my wife crawled into bed and we were chatting and she was enjoying her early birthday present, I found this NASA video.
[youtube:i1xci4wr]
[/youtube:i1xci4wr]

Be an Astronaut at times like these. A figure of strength, intelligence and acting for the good of mankind. Think NASA thoughts...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jan 2011 11:29 #2 by Grady
great post

14 Jan 2011 11:41 #3 by ScienceChic
Thanks Grady!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Jan 2011 12:11 #4 by FredHayek
But poor NASA has to deal with an administration which doesn't see a future in manned space missions.

The husband of Gabby Giffords was scheduled to be the commander of the last space shuttle mission with no replacement delivery system in the forseeable future. Imagine what JFK would have said seeing that NASA is pretty much down to one space station that is supplied by Russian rockets? Are we losing ground or retreating in space?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds