News Busted

21 Jan 2011 12:53 #1 by Nmysys
News Busted was created by Nmysys
[youtube:3ioantip]
[/youtube:3ioantip]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2011 12:55 #2 by outdoor338
Replied by outdoor338 on topic News Busted
These are great! Good job last night my friend :thumbsup:

21 Jan 2011 13:03 #3 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic News Busted
Thank you sir.

[youtube:3enr7ds1]
[/youtube:3enr7ds1]

21 Jan 2011 13:14 #4 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic News Busted
Some info on this group:
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... rch_Center

Media Research Center Inc. (MRC) is a conservative media watchdog group run by president and founder Brent Bozell. In 2006 the MRC had total revenue of $10.8 million[1] and 50 full-time staff members. It is predominately funded by larger right-wing foundations (see below) with other comparatively minor sources of income from rental income and investments. In it's 2006 annual report, the group's founder wrote that MRC "continued to regularly provide intellectual ammunition to conservative activists, arming them with the weapons to fight the leftist press."[2]

Mission statement
On October 1, 1987, a group of young determined conservatives set out to not only prove - through sound scientific research - that liberal bias in the media does exist and undermines traditional American values, but also to neutralize its impact on the American political scene. What they launched that fall is the now acclaimed --- Media Research Center (MRC)."[4]

Criticism
Extra!, the magazine of the progressive media watch group Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting, has criticized the MRC for selective use of evidence--the MRC had complained, for example, that there was more coverage of government death squads in right-wing El Salvador than in left-wing Nicaragua, without mentioning that there were roughly a thousand times more extra-judicial killings in El Salvador. Extra! also characterized the MRC as wanting to force out of the media any opinions that it disagreed with, even tracking the off-screen political comments of actors in a project that the magazine said "bore an uncomfortable resemblance to Red Channels, the McCarthy Era blacklisting journal." [4]

http://mediamatters.org/research/200505110005
MRC studies that "prove" media's "liberal bias" collapse under scrutiny
May 11, 2005 5:03 pm ET

The MRC has not posted complete data for the Social Security "study" on its website, so it's impossible to know what criteria the group used to classify statements in news stories it examined to arrive at its conclusions. Nor does it provide a list of guests, sources, institutions, or ideas that were unfairly labeled "conservative," or a similar list of guests, sources, institutions, or ideas that ought to have been labeled "liberal" but were not. The MRC is certainly free to cry "liberal bias" at every news report it sees. But when it labels something a "study," it is presenting its analysis as more objective, and should thus be held to a higher standard.

Sounds like they could use some improvement on how to conduct "sound scientific research"...

I'm all for holding the media more accountable for their crappy reporting, but how about instead of focusing on "liberal bias" which is vague and subjective criteria, how about emphasizing accurate, comprehensive, and appropriately represented sides of a story?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Jan 2011 13:20 #5 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic News Busted

Science Chic wrote: , how about emphasizing accurate, comprehensive, and appropriately represented sides of a story?

You mean like that provided by mediamatters? rofllol rofllol

I am not familiar with the site, but the clip in the OP suggests they do not take themselves too seriously.

21 Jan 2011 13:22 #6 by Nmysys
It's all the fault of Bush and Palin!!!

21 Jan 2011 13:22 #7 by daisypusher
Replied by daisypusher on topic News Busted
I thought the video was political humor, not an attempt to prove bias. I guess I am too lighthearted. lol

21 Jan 2011 13:32 #8 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic News Busted
Neptune - what part of the statement I quoted from mediamatters is liberally biased? They point out that MRC's claim of conducting sound scientific research on representation is unpublished - and that's true. If MRC wants to make that claim, then they have to put their data and methods out there for all to analyze and see if they come up with the same conclusions. Mediamatters makes no such claim so you can hold it against them if you like for having a liberal bias, but in this case, the burden of proof rests on MRC, not mediamatters.

I never said that News Busted didn't take itself seriously, but when misrepresentation in the media runs rampant, with no voiced objections, it tends to start being taken as fact/gospel. I immensely dislike misrepresentation of facts and misuse of scientific method so I'm going to comment to bring light to the problem, especially when a "news organization" purports to do scientific research and it resembles nothing like true scientific research.

Nmysys - where did I say anything about Bush and Palin?

daisypusher - that is the stated mission of the organization behind News Busted.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Jan 2011 13:39 #9 by Nmysys
You didn't SC, just pointing out the "obvious" for your left leaning friends. All in jest, don't take everything so seriously. You will develop ulcers.

21 Jan 2011 13:41 #10 by daisypusher
Replied by daisypusher on topic News Busted
It seems they have mission creep..... I thought their one liners were better and on par with other political satirists on TV. Excellent job, regardless of mission.

Sometimes, I am on a mission, I stop to smell the roses and then every once in a while crack a political joke..... I hope no one minimizes my special purpose, I mean mission. :wave:

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds