Obama's Plan to Admit Mexican Trucks

21 Jan 2011 20:16 #1 by outdoor338
It is amazing that, with unemployment unacceptably high, the Obama Administration has endorsed a plan that will cost U.S. jobs and make highway driving for Americans more dangerous and less pleasant. Obama wants to admit Mexican trucks to drive on all U.S. highways and roads.
Todd Spencer, executive vice president of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, explained what this means: "U.S. truckers would be forced to forfeit their own economic opportunities while companies and drivers from Mexico, free from equivalent regulatory burdens, take over their traffic lanes." We wonder if Mexico has any regulatory standards at all.

Mexican trucks are known to be overweight and lacking in safety regulations we consider essential, such as anti-lock brakes. Mexico doesn't have national databases that track drivers' records, background checks, drug usage, and arrests, and it's known to be easy to get a commercial driver's license with a bribe.

http://www.eagleforum.org/column/2011/j ... 01-21.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2011 21:26 #2 by navycpo7

outdoor338 wrote: It is amazing that, with unemployment unacceptably high, the Obama Administration has endorsed a plan that will cost U.S. jobs and make highway driving for Americans more dangerous and less pleasant. Obama wants to admit Mexican trucks to drive on all U.S. highways and roads.
Todd Spencer, executive vice president of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, explained what this means: "U.S. truckers would be forced to forfeit their own economic opportunities while companies and drivers from Mexico, free from equivalent regulatory burdens, take over their traffic lanes." We wonder if Mexico has any regulatory standards at all.

Mexican trucks are known to be overweight and lacking in safety regulations we consider essential, such as anti-lock brakes. Mexico doesn't have national databases that track drivers' records, background checks, drug usage, and arrests, and it's known to be easy to get a commercial driver's license with a bribe.

http://www.eagleforum.org/column/2011/j ... 01-21.html

Far as I can remember they have always been coming into the US, or are you talking about picking up loads in the US and transporting to another site in the US. Right now they bring things from mexico into the US and back. I know as when I was living in El Paso, Tx, got hit by one, played hell getting that insurance company to pay to fix my car, alittle over 2000.00, but they finally did after I threaten them to that I would report this to the feds. (still reported it to them)

21 Jan 2011 21:47 #3 by archer

The countries would negotiate the number of carriers allowed to participate in a first phase. Applicants would be vetted by U.S. law enforcement agencies. Trucking safety programs would be reviewed and each vehicle would be inspected and certified by highway safety and environmental officials.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110106/pl_ ... ico_trucks

This has been in the works for years, it is very popular with business (it was originally part of NAFTA) and very unpopular with unions. Does that change your mind about it outdoor????

21 Jan 2011 21:53 #4 by Beeks
Apparently the NAFTA provisions were suspended in March of 2009, trucks from Mexico now only operate in areas close to the border, and then turn their loads over to U.S. companies. Seems to work OK, I don't remember hearing anything about U.S. companies not being able to handle the load, so why ship even more business overseas? (or over the border, in this case)

21 Jan 2011 21:56 #5 by archer

Beeks wrote: Apparently the NAFTA provisions were suspended in March of 2009, trucks from Mexico now only operate in areas close to the border, and then turn their loads over to U.S. companies. Seems to work OK, I don't remember hearing anything about U.S. companies not being able to handle the load, so why ship even more business overseas? (or over the border, in this case)

It costs more for businesses to have the loads transferred to US truckers......whatever it takes now days to cut costs.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds