First Anniversary of Citizens United Decision

23 Jan 2011 00:44 #1 by ScienceChic
Public campaign financing requires immediate attention if we are to address the corruption in Washington.

http://www.alternet.org/rights/149626/f ... ns/?page=1
First Anniversary of Citizens United Decision: Hundreds of Millions in Corporate Money Already Pouring into Elections
January 21, 2011

A new report released by Public Citizen this week http://www.citizen.org/12-months-after surveys the results:

* Spending by outside groups jumped to $294.2 million in the 2010 election cycle, a nearly four-fold increase from the $68.9 million spent in 2006, the last mid-terms. Nearly half of that ($138.5 million) came from just 10 groups, with the biggest share by far benefiting Republicans.

* In 60 out of 75 congressional races, the candidate benefiting most from outside spending won the race -- a remarkable 80 percent win rate.

* The source of the money flooding into elections after Citizens United largely hidden: Because many of the independent groups aren't required to disclose their donors, barely a third -- 34 percent -- of the groups reported which people and groups gave them money.

As Public Citizen notes, the cloak of secrecy surrounding corporate campaign spending goes against the Supreme Court thinking behind Citizens United, which was that massive corporate spending was acceptable as long as the public knew about it. The DISCLOSE Act, a bill that would have required non-profit groups to reveal the donors behind their election war chests, failed by one vote last spring in the face of a Senate Republican filibuster.

"Justice Brandeis got it right," [Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD)] noted last February. "'We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.'" The message may already resonate with voters: A Survey USA poll last August found that, when asked whether corporate campaign contributions represent "free speech" or "bribes," 77 percent said "bribes." http://www.voterrollcall.com/client/Pol ... 93151c0906

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jan 2011 08:35 #2 by cydl
Yup - anyone who didn't see this one coming....well, I'm speechless. But then the large corporations have owned this country and the politicians for some time.

23 Jan 2011 10:11 #3 by Mayhem
As usual the leftists will whinge and whine about any money that will impede their march toward the final nail in the coffin for this country, but will completely ignore the influx of foreign money being injected by faceless entities with no accounting of it, starting with the clintoon era and seriously impacting the 2008 presidential race. Their hypocrisy is limitless.

23 Jan 2011 11:13 #4 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: Public campaign financing requires immediate attention if we are to address the corruption in Washington.

]

To think that any change in campaign finance laws will keep politicians from finding ways to accept bribes is foolish.
It is like asking foxes to design a new security system for the hen house.

23 Jan 2011 11:22 #5 by ScienceChic
Nope, we don't ignore the influx of foreign money either - a public financing of campaigns will take care of that too.

neptune - so do you think we should just throw up our hands and do nothing? What would you suggest as an alternative? I'm not saying that this will be a magic bullet that will fix all problems, but it's an important start. Lobbyists' influence should be next...and yes, I even mean for those causes that I support.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Jan 2011 11:26 #6 by conifermtman
How about we abolish all campaign finance laws and not restrict free speech, after all that is what the founders wanted.

23 Jan 2011 11:31 #7 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: Nope, we don't ignore the influx of foreign money either - a public financing of campaigns will take care of that too.

neptune - so do you think we should just throw up our hands and do nothing? What would you suggest as an alternative? I'm not saying that this will be a magic bullet that will fix all problems, but it's an important start. Lobbyists' influence should be next...and yes, I even mean for those causes that I support.

Kill* the governments power to legislate economic success and failure and the $ will dry up. I am not hopeful, but I remain a libertarian.

*Metaphorically speaking.

23 Jan 2011 11:32 #8 by ScienceChic
Great, except that the reality is that campaigning requires money - money for travel to meet with the public to educate them on your platform, ads to do the same. I can't think of how it would be done without funds...do you or does anyone else have ideas as to how to go about that? Taking the money out of it altogether would be ideal.

23 Jan 2011 11:39 #9 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: Great, except that the reality is that campaigning requires money - money for travel to meet with the public to educate them on your platform, ads to do the same. I can't think of how it would be done without funds...do you or does anyone else have ideas as to how to go about that? Taking the money out of it altogether would be ideal.

When I said the $ will dry up,I did not mean ALL the $ will dry up. Rather, the big vested interest bribe $ would dry up.

23 Jan 2011 11:43 #10 by Blazer Bob
As I said, I am not hopeful. I think Walter Williams said it better than I can.

"
Mr. Williams says he hopes that the tea party has staying power, but "liberty and limited government is the unusual state of human affairs. The normal state throughout mankind's history is for him to be subject to arbitrary abuse and control by government."

He adds: "A historian writing 100 or 200 years from now might well say, 'You know, there was this little historical curiosity that existed for maybe 200 years, where people were free from arbitrary abuse and control by government and where there was a large measure of respect for private property rights. But then it went back to the normal state of affairs.'"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 61598.html

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds