Black and White Ribbons - Get It Right!

25 Jan 2011 20:25 #1 by 2wlady
I wondered about the ribbons that Congress was displaying on their lapels tonight. My DH directed me to Rush Limbaugh's comments.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_012511/content/01125107.guest.html

RUSH: By the way, one other thing here: This ribbon tonight, the black and white ribbon? This is the idea of Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Michael McCaul. He's a Republican from Texas; Wasserman Schultz is from Florida, Boca. The ribbon already exists, the black and white ribbon. I looked this up during the break. It's a pretty dirty trick to steal the official ribbon of carcinoid cancer. Carcinoid cancer occurs in the stomach.

As a carcinoid cancer survivor, I'm glad we got a little publicity. However, as usual, Rush didn't tell the whole story of carcinoid. It's a rare, "orphan" disease that's really, really nasty. Our black and white is in zebra stripes because doctors are told "Look for the horse, not the zebra" when diagnosing illness. Unfortunately, carcinoid is a zebra disease and diagnosing, let alone treating it, often takes years.

Apparently, THIS black and white ribbon is from the Tucson Survivor's Group, who adopted the ribbon in 1982. Leave it to Rush. Once again, he chooses a little group with no clout to distort something for his "entertaining" purposes.

Edited to add link.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jan 2011 22:29 #2 by ckm8
What do you expect from a drug addled publicity wh@re? He pollutes everything he talks about.

What's sad is that cancers have to "compete"in popularity contests for research funds.

25 Jan 2011 23:02 #3 by Local_Historian
Since I was paying no real attention, what did THEY want the white and black ribbons to signify?

25 Jan 2011 23:16 #4 by archer
I believe they were in support of Gabby Gifford.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds